Upgrading Jira

Jason Ferris September 23, 2019

Needing to upgrade/update Jira and I'm confused as to what is needed. Do I need to update Jira Core first and then Jira Software? We use Service Desk as well. 

It would be version 7.8 to version 7.13.8 I believe. 

We have 7.8 software and core. Service desk 3.11. We are a little behind but also a little hesitant to update/upgrade as we use this alot in our business. I am thinking of the minimal downtime update process but I'm just needing to know how I need to go about it with the Core and Software versions. 

Thank you!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2019

Jira Core is the heart of Jira Software - so when you are upgrading JIRA Software , it means you are upgrading Core too.

As for JIRA ServiceDesk, you can just do a simple update whenever there is any update - via the JIRA Admin Screen - Applications tab.

Thank you for responding! So if I update Jira Software then my Core will update along with it.  I can then download the Jira Software 7.13.8 update and follow that procedure for the upgrade then? 

On a side note, the ServiceDesk 3.11 is that a major ordeal to update that? 

I will be planning to update our Jira Software. 

Thank you!

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2019

JIRA Core is the heart of all JIRA types :-) 

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2019

But I would strictly recommend you to read release notes of the latest version and see what are the differences between the two versions in order to see what is changing and what to expect.

If you have a lot of customizations - ensure you know where they are located or applied so that you can check them , reapply them as depending upon where the customization has been applied , files might be reset , and verify them.

Plugins - run a check to ensure your latest version has all plugin versions for your current plugin versions.

I always recommend doing an upgrade in your test environment first to understand changes and upgrade complexities

Thanks for this bit of information. I didn't see this reply yet. 

Suggest an answer