Upgrading Jira from 4.4.1 to 6.1

bvce lari October 30, 2013

Hello,

I am planning upgrade a Jira from 4.4.1 to 6.1 using Oracle DataBase.

Have anyone experienced any issues in a similar upgrade jumping this big?

Any issue related with workflows?

Thank you very much.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2013

Hi Bvce

Here in support we recommend the upgrade and haven't notice any issues including workflows.

Hope it helps,

Ricardo Carracedo.

bvce lari November 11, 2013

Well, Trying to import to 6.1 my xml from 4.4.1 I found this issue:

ERROR admin /secure/admin/XmlRestore.jspa [jira.action.admin.OfbizImportHandler] Exception importing entity: or
g.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericEntityException: while inserting: [GenericEntity:Project][id,18371][description,GENERIC PROYECT DESCRIPTION ][counter,1070][name,GENERIC PROYECT NAME][le
ad,My_lead][avatar,10011][assigneetype,2][key,DAT] (SQL Exception while executing the following:INSERT INTO project (ID, pname, URL, LEAD, DESCRIPTION, pkey, pcounter, ASSIGNEETYPE, AVATAR, O
RIGINALKEY) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) (ORA-00001: unique constraint (SID_JIRA6.IDX_PROJECT_KEY) violated

And is wierd... beacuse looks like Jira can not handle Idx....If I execute manually the INSERT sentence:

INSERT INTO project (ID, pname, URL, LEAD, DESCRIPTION, pkey, pcounter, ASSIGNEETYPE, AVATAR,ORIGINALKEY)
VALUES (18371, 'GENERIC PROYECT NAME', '', 'My_lead', 'GENERIC PROYECT NAME', 'DAT', 1070, 2, 10011, '') ;
Works propperly

Is this any Known issue?

Anyone know how to fix this issue?

Thank you very much

RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2013

Hi Bvce

It is not know yet what causes this problem, although the most likely reason for this to occur is that an update attempt was not successfully finished, and therefore caused this mismatch in the id counts.

This issue looks related to this article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Duplicated+Entry+-+Unique+Constraint+Violated

Hope it helps,

Ricardo Carracedo.

0 votes
bvce lari November 10, 2013

Well, Trying to import to 6.1 my xml from 4.4.1 I found this issue:

ERROR admin /secure/admin/XmlRestore.jspa [jira.action.admin.OfbizImportHandler] Exception importing entity: or
g.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericEntityException: while inserting: [GenericEntity:Project][id,18371][description,GENERIC PROYECT DESCRIPTION ][counter,1070][name,GENERIC PROYECT NAME][le
ad,My_lead][avatar,10011][assigneetype,2][key,DAT] (SQL Exception while executing the following:INSERT INTO project (ID, pname, URL, LEAD, DESCRIPTION, pkey, pcounter, ASSIGNEETYPE, AVATAR, O
RIGINALKEY) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) (ORA-00001: unique constraint (SID_JIRA6.IDX_PROJECT_KEY) violated

And is wierd... beacuse looks like Jira can not handle Idx....If I execute manually the INSERT sentence:

INSERT INTO project (ID, pname, URL, LEAD, DESCRIPTION, pkey, pcounter, ASSIGNEETYPE, AVATAR,ORIGINALKEY)
VALUES (18371, 'GENERIC PROYECT NAME', '', 'My_lead', 'GENERIC PROYECT NAME', 'DAT', 1070, 2, 10011, '') ;
Works propperly

Is this any Known issue?

Anyone know how to fix this issue?

Thank you very much

0 votes
Stefan Niedermann November 3, 2013

A big problem on our upgrade was the following: We used Javascript in the Fieldconfigurations for some validations etc.

This is not working anymore with JIRA 5 and above (because the edit screen is not open as a page anymore but as a pop-up)

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2013

Hi bvce,

The only Major problem you can face is regarding the plugin compatibility as since JIRA 5.x onwards the default plugin system is type 2 and loads of changes have been made in the plugin APIs. Thus if you have lot of plugins just do lot of testing before actually migrating the production system.

I migrated a huge jira installation from 4.4.4 to 5.2.11 and had to face lot of plugin related hiccups.

Cheers,

0 votes
bvce lari November 3, 2013

Thanks for your anwers Ricardo.

I will make an approach making an export of the database to xml (using jira tool) and import it in a Brand new 6.1 Jira.

If anyone has any other experience related will be appreciated

Suggest an answer