Upgrading Jira from 4.4.1 to 6.1

Hello,

I am planning upgrade a Jira from 4.4.1 to 6.1 using Oracle DataBase.

Have anyone experienced any issues in a similar upgrade jumping this big?

Any issue related with workflows?

Thank you very much.

5 answers

1 accepted

Hi Bvce

Here in support we recommend the upgrade and haven't notice any issues including workflows.

Hope it helps,

Ricardo Carracedo.

Well, Trying to import to 6.1 my xml from 4.4.1 I found this issue:

ERROR admin /secure/admin/XmlRestore.jspa [jira.action.admin.OfbizImportHandler] Exception importing entity: or
g.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericEntityException: while inserting: [GenericEntity:Project][id,18371][description,GENERIC PROYECT DESCRIPTION ][counter,1070][name,GENERIC PROYECT NAME][le
ad,My_lead][avatar,10011][assigneetype,2][key,DAT] (SQL Exception while executing the following:INSERT INTO project (ID, pname, URL, LEAD, DESCRIPTION, pkey, pcounter, ASSIGNEETYPE, AVATAR, O
RIGINALKEY) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) (ORA-00001: unique constraint (SID_JIRA6.IDX_PROJECT_KEY) violated

And is wierd... beacuse looks like Jira can not handle Idx....If I execute manually the INSERT sentence:

INSERT INTO project (ID, pname, URL, LEAD, DESCRIPTION, pkey, pcounter, ASSIGNEETYPE, AVATAR,ORIGINALKEY)
VALUES (18371, 'GENERIC PROYECT NAME', '', 'My_lead', 'GENERIC PROYECT NAME', 'DAT', 1070, 2, 10011, '') ;
Works propperly

Is this any Known issue?

Anyone know how to fix this issue?

Thank you very much

Hi Bvce

It is not know yet what causes this problem, although the most likely reason for this to occur is that an update attempt was not successfully finished, and therefore caused this mismatch in the id counts.

This issue looks related to this article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Duplicated+Entry+-+Unique+Constraint+Violated

Hope it helps,

Ricardo Carracedo.

Thanks for your anwers Ricardo.

I will make an approach making an export of the database to xml (using jira tool) and import it in a Brand new 6.1 Jira.

If anyone has any other experience related will be appreciated

0 votes
Tarun Sapra Community Champion Nov 03, 2013

Hi bvce,

The only Major problem you can face is regarding the plugin compatibility as since JIRA 5.x onwards the default plugin system is type 2 and loads of changes have been made in the plugin APIs. Thus if you have lot of plugins just do lot of testing before actually migrating the production system.

I migrated a huge jira installation from 4.4.4 to 5.2.11 and had to face lot of plugin related hiccups.

Cheers,

A big problem on our upgrade was the following: We used Javascript in the Fieldconfigurations for some validations etc.

This is not working anymore with JIRA 5 and above (because the edit screen is not open as a page anymore but as a pop-up)

Well, Trying to import to 6.1 my xml from 4.4.1 I found this issue:

ERROR admin /secure/admin/XmlRestore.jspa [jira.action.admin.OfbizImportHandler] Exception importing entity: or
g.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericEntityException: while inserting: [GenericEntity:Project][id,18371][description,GENERIC PROYECT DESCRIPTION ][counter,1070][name,GENERIC PROYECT NAME][le
ad,My_lead][avatar,10011][assigneetype,2][key,DAT] (SQL Exception while executing the following:INSERT INTO project (ID, pname, URL, LEAD, DESCRIPTION, pkey, pcounter, ASSIGNEETYPE, AVATAR, O
RIGINALKEY) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) (ORA-00001: unique constraint (SID_JIRA6.IDX_PROJECT_KEY) violated

And is wierd... beacuse looks like Jira can not handle Idx....If I execute manually the INSERT sentence:

INSERT INTO project (ID, pname, URL, LEAD, DESCRIPTION, pkey, pcounter, ASSIGNEETYPE, AVATAR,ORIGINALKEY)
VALUES (18371, 'GENERIC PROYECT NAME', '', 'My_lead', 'GENERIC PROYECT NAME', 'DAT', 1070, 2, 10011, '') ;
Works propperly

Is this any Known issue?

Anyone know how to fix this issue?

Thank you very much

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,772 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot