Upgrading Jira from 4.1.2 to 5.2

Hi All

I understand during Jira upgrade it is recommended (although not mandatory) to have an intermediate step at 4.3-4.4. My upgrade is from 4.1.2 to 5.2

Would you recommend me to include this intermediate step?

Have anyone experienced any issues in jumping this big?

Note: I have 60K issues, 300 projects and 4K users. I also have a test instance to test my upgrade.

3 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

the only issue i ever experience during a 5.x to next 5.x release was within the connector config from server.xml

the upgrade should run fine

starting jira was not possible with my customized server.xml

i'm not sure but i think it had something to do with the switch from tomcat 6 to 7

regarding error messages i got i had to remove a parameter in the connector brick...once this was done everything started up as it shoul.

maybe i find more details on that...i will share the info then

anyhow performing this upgrade should be done in a test environment before. but you got one..so just try it

I too got with that. Since you are first doing it on a test instance, just go ahead and install the latest.

Thanks Faysal and renjith...I upgraded to 5.0.2 and it was fine.

Rahul

Once you are in 4.x, I do not think you'll have any problem.

You can determine the recommended upgrade method in this table.

More information can also be found in Skipping Major Versions When Upgrading JIRA.

THanks Alex...I upgraded to 5.0.2 directly and it was fine.

Rahul

Hi Rahul,

The version 4.3 introduce the crowd layer in JIRA.

There are an important Change in JIRA 4.4, since this version the datasource is define in the JIRA HOME.

For this different changes, I think it is important to go throught this step.

Why do want to go directly to JIRA 5.2 ? question of time ?

Regards,

Sven.

Yes, we would like to go to the latest version as soon as possible. Moreover, i have now changed my plans to now go to 5.0.2 instead of 5.2 directly (as I have a few project imports to perform at 5.0.2).

Do you still think going to 5.0.2 is not advisable (considering that there are just three releases inbetween 4.4.5 and 5.0.2)

Rahul

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

139 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you