Upgrading Jira 4.2.3 to 5.2 with existing Oracle Database

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2012

Hello,

When i start version 5.2 from my test upgrade, the setup wizard requires an empty database. I want to use an existing Jira 4.2.3 database. How can i bring up Jira with an existing database since we do not want to lose records? Do i have to bypass the setup wizard? Step 1 of 4 basic settings.

I saw this answer. Where is it changed? We do not have an existing DBCONFIG.XML file

From Knowledge base

We had the same problem ... found out it was the Schema property of the db connection.

By default it proposes "dbo", you need to change it to "JiraSchema"

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 28, 2012

Hi Ken,

Please see Upgrading JIRA consideration before you proceed. Make sure you had follow every steps mentioned in the document.

Hope it helps and Good luck.

Regards,

John Chin

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2012

When we use the upgrade wizard it says we cannot upgrade since it is version 4.3 or later.

Any option to upgrade from 4.2.3?

John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 29, 2012

Hi Ken,

Other option is manually upgrade your JIRA. Please refer the following document:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Upgrading+JIRA+Manually

Regards,

John

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2012

We were doing the maunal upgrade, but at startup the setup wizard automatically kicks in with the panel. We went ahead and did a manual install of 4.3 to upgrade the DB.

John Chin
Atlassian Team
December 2, 2012

Hi Ken,

You can select import existing database link in setup wizard which directly restore data from your JIRA 4.3 but you need specify an empty database as a container.

I guess not possible to refer the old database from JIRA 4.3 to 5.2 since there is a lot of changes made in latest JIRA and needs to rebuild the database index using restore/import method in 5.2. However, you can give a try let us know how it goes.

For switching database, please refer the following information:

• https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Switching+Databases

Regards,

John Chin

Suggest an answer