Upgrading Java version for JIRA 6.2

dbrewerTTech April 3, 2014

Hi,

Our JIRA instance currently have Java version 1.6 and we're running JIRA 6.2. We weren't aware that it wasn't the correct version to have on the machine for JIRA till a few days ago. So I've been spending a good amount of time over the past few days trying to upgrade the Java that JIRA is using to 1.7 instead of 1.6. I've changed the "JAVA_HOME" enviroment variable to use it, and that didn't work. I tried changing the enabled state of the 1.6 java version in Control Panel > Java and that didn't do it. I also changed the "path" enviroment variable to use the 1.7 Java but it's still not loading JIRA with the correct version.

I've done some research on this subject before coming here and I just can't seem to find a solution. What should I do?

EDIT: If it helps at all, we're running on a Windows 2008 server and JIRA is run as a service.

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2014

JIRA comes bundled with its own JRE assuming standalone. The JAVA_HOME value is set in the startup scripts to use that embedded JRE.

Why do you say its the wrong version?

You can force JIRA to use the system JRE, https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/How+to+Use+System+JRE+Instead+of+Embedded+JRE

Alright I'll try and change that. See, we updated from 5 to 6.2 a few weeks ago, and it never changed the version of Java it was using. Perhaps I didn't copy something over that needed copied? I just extracted the atlassian-jira-6.2-standalone.zip and that was it.

Also that doesn't seem to work. the "JRE_HOME" variable isn't even in the setenv.bat anymore from the looks of it.

Because the version of java that JIRA is using is 1.6 where as it states here https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/270020/jira-6-2-version-is-slower-than-5-2-versionthat JIRA 6.2 was made for 1.7 and not 1.6. Yes it may work, but it hasn't been tested with 1.6.

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2014

@David- why do you think the version is wrong? The standalone installer is self-inclusive, and will use the 'right' jre. There's nothing to copy over or set.

Suggest an answer