Upgrading JIRA after an year from now - Costing?

Manish Batra January 24, 2013

Hi,

We are analysing the costing of JIRA at the moment. Can you please confirm if we would like to upgrade to latest JIRA version from an year now (we are planning to start with current version i.e. 5.2.4.1 we are testing) what would be the cost we need to pay to get to the latest version of JIRA (say 7.0) We are analysing the cost for both on-demand and download, so if you confirm the future costing for both case, it would be helpful for us to analyse and decide better.

Thanks
Manish

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2013

You can upgrade to any version of JIRA released till 12 months from the date of purchase as I can see at http://www.atlassian.com/licensing/purchase-licensing

Thanks, but my actual analysis is for after an year (or two) in both case, on-demand and download.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2013

I don't think you have read the licensing page.

For download, you buy the product. Once bought, you get a year's support. If you upgrade during that time, there are no licence costs (just the time and effort it takes you to do the upgrade). After that year, everything will keep working, but you lose support, and you can not upgrade past the end-date of the license.

For example:

Buy Jira today, 25th Jan 2013, run it for a year and then let the licence expire.

Assuming that Atlassian release Jira 6 in June 2013, and then Jira 7 in March 2014, you will be able to upgrade to Jira 6 at any time, even after your licence expires. But you will not be able to upgrade to 7 unless you renew.

I agree, but what if I would need to upgrade to JIRA 7 in March 14? Do I need to pay the "complete price" again on renew? Also, is there a option, if I don't want support and just to upgrade after an year (which could probably lower the renew cost)?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2013

Then you need to keep the mainentance going. If you do let it lapse, you can talk to Atlassian about back-dating it - they're quite flexible about that, but if you let it lapse for too long, then yes, you'll need new licences rather than the half-cost of maintenance.

No, it's flat - you either pay the maintenance for support and upgrades, or you do not (you could contact Atlassian to find out if they'd change that for you specifically of course)

Also, can you please confirm there is separate licence required for Fisheye and Crucible (costing $2200 each) or $2200 for both?

Thanks Nic, just a clarification. As you said " rather than the half-cost of maintenance", does it mean to renew the maintenance it would be half of initial cost (first time cost)?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2013

Again, it's in the licensing pages. For Jira for example, http://www.atlassian.com/licensing/jira#downloadlicenses-2

Suggest an answer