Upgrading JIRA 5.1 to 6.1.5 on MacOSX

Ed Latimer-Sayer January 5, 2014

Hi there,

I know that JIRA isn't supported on Mac OSX but it does work for us just fine.

I'm just looking to upgrade our standalone instance from v5.1 up to v6.1.5 and can't decide the best way to do it. We're using an external dB which is a mySQL instance.

If we were running on Linux or Windows i'd opt for the rapid upgrade method, but it doesn't look like that will work for me - so my question is will I have to do the following or is there a shortcut?

1. Do a full backup of JIRA, the JIRA home directory and the dB.

2. Do a fresh install of JIRA 6.1.5 into a clean directory and a clean dB.

3. Restore the backup.

The annoyance is that i'll have to update all the JIRA config files as I did on the initial setup, and I was hoping I could keep much of the config or perform a more rapid method.

Many thanks in advance, Ed.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2014

You do not have to restore the DB. Just point the new installation to the current prod DB (after taking a backup) and on startup JIRA will do the upgrade by itself.

You will still have to do the config file changes manually.

Ed Latimer-Sayer January 5, 2014

Thanks Jobin,

Does that mean the best bet would be to do the following?

1. Do a full backup of everything (just in case)

2. Shutdown the old instance, and rename the installation directory (to move it out of the way)

3. Install the new version and update the config files to point to the existing dB and JIRA home directory.

4. Start it up... and it will do the upgrade for me.

Does that sound right?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2014

Yes, that should work. Make sure you do other configuration changes like memory settings, server.xml changes etc as well in the new installation directory.

Suggest an answer