Upgrade to 6.2.7

csit.jira.support@list.db.com August 4, 2014

Hi Team,

I need some clarifiction. In jira upgrade from 4.2.3 to 6.2.7, whether we need to use a blank database or the original database along with data, while connectin jira to database. As per atlassian doc they suggest to connect to blank database. Please suggest which step to follow, also mention the difference between two approaches?

Thanks!!

1 answer

0 votes
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2014

Hey there,

Connecting the newer JIRA version to an existing database will cause JIRA to try to upgrade the data in the database directly during its first startup. However, I'd only advise you to do that when upgrading JIRA from a more recent release to a newest one - to upgrade JIRA 4.2.3 to the latest I'd advise you to go with the blank database + XML backup option.

This option is basically set up a new instance of JIRA and restoring its backup - similarly to what's mentioned in this doc. You'll simply set up a new JIRA instance connected to a clean database, and when setting it up you'll import JIRA's 4.2.3 backup: This way JIRA will update the data while it stores the values in the database, and by the end of it you should have a fully upgraded instance (considering that you copied the data from the JIRA home as explained in that doc).

So long story short, I'd advise you to go with the blank database+XML backup method for your particular use case. If you then need to uprade JIRA 6.2.7 in the future, follow the direct database (obviously, creating an backup before the upgrade!). :)

I hope this helps!

csit.jira.support@list.db.com August 5, 2014

Hi Matheus,

We have upgraded our UAT jira by connecting database with data and it is successful. we had two errors:

1) Tablespace issue

2) table variable to be change to clob.

After resolving these issues, now Jira is working absolutely fine. But our concern is, prod database is comparatively huge than UAT database. While connecting jira with huge database during upgrade, How it will affect the upgradation success. Please advise on this asap, as we are about to upgrade production within a week.

Thanks!!

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2014

The upgrade steps will be the same, so it shoulnd't have any further impact but the time it'll take - a huge database will take considerably more time to complete the upgrade than the small one. Other than that you should be fine. :)

Suggest an answer