Upgrade procedure 6.4 internal DB to 7.X external db

billshanahan November 9, 2017

Hi All  I am trying to upgrade a starter license from 6.4 using the internal DB to 7.X with an external db.  Following the standard upgrade process 6.4 to 7.0 the upgrade fails.  (JIRA throws a fatal error when it tries to restart).  Does anyone have any suggestions on the steps I should follow to upgrade this instance.  Should I move to an external DB first then upgrade?  Or Upgrade then hook to the new database.  Any help would be appreciated.

2 answers

0 votes
petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2017

A good approach would be take an XML backup from your JIRA 6.4 and then import into a fresh 7.0 already configured to use an external database.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2017

Change the database first.  The built in ones really are only for development and testing with small datasets and aren't reliable enough to even think of using for real data.  They often fail on upgrade, the process is too much for them.

Suggest an answer