Upgrade path for upgrading multiple applications at the same time

Jeff Richard September 3, 2013

Last night I upgraded all of our Atlassian products. Some of the upgrades worked, but refused login and Confluence seemed to work, but when it was brought up, it had a failure notice.

I currently have:

Jira 6.0.1

Confluence 5.1.3

Crowd 2.6.1

Fisheye/Crucible 3.0.1

I tried to upgrade to (the current versions)

Jira 6.0.8

Confluence 5.2.3

Crowd 2.6.5

Fisheye/Crucible 3.1.1

We have Crowd setup to use our AD directory, and the other apps to use Crowd a user directory.

Well, after I upgraded, I couldn't log into Jira or Fisheye/Crucible. And Confluence was getting an error.

I could still log into Crowd (with my domain account). What would have caused Jira and the other apps to get disconnected from Crowd? Was I suspposed to upgrade in a perticular order?

As for Confluence, I dont' know what happened. The error told me to restore my directories and the database and try again. I've restored them, but I have not tried again... kinda gun shy.

Thanks for any help,

Jeff

1 answer

0 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2013

Hi Jeff,

Judging by your application versions you can upgrade your apps in any order. As for what may have caused the login problem, there isn't enough information to be sure, but one thing that usually occur is that during the upgrade customers sometimes clone the application into another server and upgrade the clone server instead of the original server.

This can cause problems when the new server's IP is not authorized to authenticate in Crowd. Do you think this can be the case? have you changed the server or IP during the upgrade?

In case it's not it, can you send more details about the errors you saw in the logs?

Cheers

Jeff Richard September 4, 2013

Nope, that isn't it, because all of these run on the same server... and I checked all of the authorized IP's and for each app, they all include the local server ip.

I can give you some logs, which logs would you like to see. I'm in a little bit of log overload. Do you want them from crowd or one of the other apps?

Suggest an answer