Upgrade of Linux Jira server from 4.1.2 to 5.1.4

Ken Runner March 27, 2013

I am trying to upgrade from version 4.1.2 to 5.1.4 of Jira on a Linux server using MySQL for the DB. Can't do this is a single step, so the question is what version should I use for the intermediate step?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2013

I've done 4.0 to 5.1 safely - run into two issues - some user group memberships are dropped, and Greenhopper creates duplicate fields. Both minor problems and fixable in the database.

However - this system, although large, is moderately simple. There are a small handful of well-maintained plugins, we've done a lot of standardisation and "reuse fields as much as possible". It's still messy, but not horribly so.

However you approach this, you MUST test it properly. Rig up a test system, and try a single upgrade run. If you hit problems, then go straight back to Sultan's answer for the next test run - do 4.x to 4.4.5

Oh, and I wouldn't use 5.1.4 either. Go to at least 5.1.7 and I'd recommend 5.1.8

0 votes
Sultan Maiyaki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2013

As mentioned on this page you can actaully go directly from 4.x to 5.x but we strongly advice going through an intermediary stable version of the 4 series. In this case, you shoud go to 4.4.5 and then to 5.1.4

Suggest an answer