Upgrade & migrate 6.4 to 7.0

lukman abdul faqih October 20, 2016

hi JIRA support

currently right now we had enterprise JIRA we had 100 users license,  the version of JIRA is 6.4.4

we are gonna planning to upgrade our JIRA to version 7 , our JIRA installed on ec2 servers amazon web services so the step that im gonna do is

1. create image from the existing instance ec2 JIRA 
  2. load the image into new instance / new server 
  3. download new JIRA version 7 and install it untill finish
  4. running JIRA configuration tool.  to change the path / directory   

so the question that im asking is ? 
     whats the impact for the licensed on the existing JIRA servers if the new servers of JIRA using version 7 is ready to use it

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2016

Your licence entitles you to use any version of JIRA released before the end date of the licence, so upgrading from  6 to 7 should not be a problem.

The model does change between 6 and 7 though.  JIRA changes from an application with add-ons to a framework with applications and add-ons.  If you're using plain JIRA, you don't need to worry about it, but if you're using JIRA with the Agile and/or Service Desk add-ons, you'll need to think about which is the best upgrade route.  The licences change, but you'll still be able to use the existing one

lukman abdul faqih October 25, 2016

hi nic ,

do u have safe step to upgrade it from 6.4.4 to 7.0.0 ?

i need to make sure that after the upgrade to 7.0.0 the add-ons and JIRA agile should be working ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2016
Krystian Szczęsny January 26, 2017

There's nothing to start from there. Some generic information about how good it will be after you upgrade.

I did upgrade from 6.4 to 7.0 and I'm stuck as my JIRA will not start. Unfortunately no documentation that would point out what the hell happened.

The best advice for the upgrade from 6.4 to 7.0 is to create a copy of 6.4 and upgrade the copy first.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2017

Sorry, what?  That's the entire set of documentation on doing the upgrades from Atlassian.  Every doc from going from 6 to 7 is in that guide (with links to other bits of Atlassian docs where needed)

For "my JIRA will not start", all I can say is "read the logs".  They will tell you what is going wrong.

0 votes
Dmitry Malinovsky August 11, 2020

Colleagues, url to migration hub (https://confluence.atlassian.com/migration/jira-7 ) does not work now. I got message: "Sorry, we had some technical problems during your last operation.
Return to the previous page"

Where can I find info about migration 6.*->7.0.* ?

Dmitry Malinovsky August 11, 2020

migration_hub.jpgThere is strange message.

Suggest an answer