Upgrade jira to 7.3 from 6.4. Installation problems: Directory is not valid

Miguel Estepa March 20, 2017

Hi 

I have just followed this guide to upgrade our JIRA installation from 6.4 to 7.3 for the 64 bits linux version 

When we are stuck in this step in the installer section: 

Choose the appropriate installation or upgrade option.
Please choose one of the following:
Express Install (use default settings) [1], Custom Install (recommended for advanced users) [2], Upgrade an existing JIRA installation [3, Enter]
Existing installation directory:
[/u01/repositories/atlassian-jira]

We have just tried with this directory and several directory more and it always shows me this error: 

The directory you have selected is not a valid JIRA Software installation directory.
Finishing installation ...

Please help. 

Regards. 

1 answer

1 vote
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2017

Where is JIRA installed? This is the question you need to answer.

Make sure you have read through the upgrade notes the upgrade from 6.4 to 7.3 impacts API and many plugins just to mention some aspects.

On linux for example it would be:

ps -ef | grep -i jira
jira      2370     1 99 12:46 ?        00:37:37 /opt/atlassian/jira/jre//bin/java

This would make the directory JIRA is installed to be "/opt/atlassian/jira".

Br, Niclas

Miguel Estepa March 20, 2017

Thanks for the quick response. Still the same error.

Mi jdk is outside of the JIRA directory. I have tried with JIRA 7.3 and JIRA 7.0 bin

[root@SRVCOMP02 jira]# ps -ef | grep -i jira
root 4049 1 0 Jan13 ? 06:36:49 /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_79/bin/java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/usr/local/tomcat_instances/apache-tomcat-jira/conf/logging.properties -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli. ClassLoaderLogManager -Datlassian.plugins.enable.wait=300 -Dorg.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.LIMIT_BUFFE R=true -Dmail.mime.decodeparameters=true -Xms512m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -Dmail.smtp.auth.ntlm.domain=d_ag bar -Dhttp.proxyHost=proxy.wandas.sas -Dhttp.proxyPort=8080 -Dhttps.proxyHost=proxy.wandas.sas -Dhttps.proxyPort= 8080 -Dhttp.nonProxyHosts=*.agbar.local|*.agbar.ga.local|localhost -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/local/tomcat_instances/apache-tomcat-base/endorsed -classpath /usr/local/tomcat_instances/apache-tomcat-base/bin/bootstrap.jar -Dcata lina.base=/usr/local/tomcat_instances/apache-tomcat-jira -Dcatalina.home=/usr/local/tomcat_instances/apache-tomca t-base -Djava.io.tmpdir=/usr/local/tomcat_instances/apache-tomcat-jira/temp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

With this output I guess the directory would be 

/usr/local/tomcat_instances/apache-tomcat-jira/

[/opt/binaries/atlassian-jira]
/usr/local/tomcat_instances/apache-tomcat-jira
The directory you have selected is not a valid JIRA Software installation directory.
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2017

Where is your server.xml located for JIRA?

Miguel Estepa March 21, 2017

Hi Nicolas

The file is located here: /usr/local/tomcat_instances/apache-tomcat-jira/conf/server.xml

I have tried with this path (and several combinations) and always get same error...

Finishing installation

But I tried with directory of my repo and the error changed.

Express Install (use default settings) [1], Custom Install (recommended for advanced users) [2], Upgrade an existing JIRA installation [3, Enter]
[/u01/repositories/atlassian-jira]
/u01/repositories
Unable to determine location of the home directory. 'jira.home' was not found inside jira-application.properties.

This properties is located in /usr/local/tomcat_instances/apache-tomcat-jira/webapps/jira/WEB-INF/classes/jira-application.properties and jira.home is setted as 

jira.home = /u01/repositories/atlassian-jira/

This directory store the whole JIRA repository, so I think everything is ok.

I don't know what is wrong. 

Regards

Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 22, 2017

Hey sorry for going quiet but been a bit hectic. It would seem your trying to upgrade different type of installation with another form of installation type.

Practically this should not be so different but normally the method your trying install JIRA + tomcat + java (jre) into JIRA_INSTALL directory and setup a JIRA_HOME directory (under application-data).

Not knowing more about how your instance is setup its hard to guide you and I will most likely just have a lot of question.

I would investigate the possibility of installing new version in a new path and retrieve the configuration from your old installation. Then replace the JIRA_HOME directory with your current one and let it be upgraded to the new version.

Hopefully you have test-system where you can try this!

Br, Niclas 

Suggest an answer