Upgrade from 6.4.12 to 7.0.0

Leena Bakshi September 2, 2017
Hi, we are trying to upgrade and migrate Jira from windows 2008 server to windows 2012 server and database From sql 2008 to sql 2012.. now I attamepted to install Jira 7.0.0 on win 2012 server and empty sql2012 database. As per the confluence article I copied over the Jira home directory from old 6.4 server to new 7.0 server and imported the xml backup that I took of 6.4 version. Jira came up but not with the base URL that I provided but with host name on port 8080.. and in the Jira 7.0.0 I could see all the projects listed but now I don't see any of the issues or tickets under any project and if I try integrity checker it says error 500 technical error has occurred.. in the log I don't see much.. the only diff in two env is the ssl... Jira 6.4.12 has ssl enabled and Jira 7.0.0is non ssl.. I don't know if that's the issue.

I am doing the upgrade in this fashion because after this we will upgrade Jira to 7.4 from 7.0

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2017

Leena,

Your plan is correct, i prefer to upgrade the plugins and then do the data migration.

If your working on a virtual enviroment, its a good idea to make a previous snapshot too.

The log files are the ones at the atlassian doc

datadir/log

bindir/log

Leena Bakshi September 19, 2017

Hi Gaston,

Just an update about our migration of jira from 6.4.12 to 7.0.0 on a different OS and Database was successful.

As I said earlier, I copied the Home directory and restored from XML backup on an empty database. It all went fine but then since I could nt see any issues in the project.  I reattempted the whole process again and this time I removed the plugin folder and this time it actually told me about a plugin missing when I opened Jira.

Found which plugin it was as it only said a number for custom field. I looked up that custom field in SQL under the table custom field and it showed me that it was profield. so installed profield and Updated UPM, and Upgraded Service desk and after that Jira came up fine. 

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

0 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2017

Leena,

when you get the 500 error, is there a link to expand the trace on the error?

maybe you are not seeing issues due to a broken index, this can be solved by a full reindex, but the 500 is something to check too.

When I tried full reindexing I again got error 500.. I think anything which needs to contact database is giving me error 500.. I am planning to reinstall entire thing from scratch however I wanted to confirm the sequence.. 

• install 7.0.0 on empty sql database 
  • import home directory from old Jira server
  • which also do reindex in the last stage
  • then open the Jira link in browser and that time when it ask to import data from another server, then I give the xml backup location which I took from old Jira server.. 

did id I follow anything wrong here?

Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2017

Leena,

ok, but maybe I can help you more with the details on the 500.

may be it's plugin related, usually when you do an upgrade of a major version a plugins with an incompatible version causes this kind of problem.

Yes, you are right.. unfortunately itskipped my mind.. Ian going to rename plugin folder and restart the services.. and will update .. thanks for pointing it out :)

Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2017

Ok! Let me know if you have any trouble

For some reason rigth now jira is coming up however the dashboard is not there .. All I see is top portion where we have dashboard, project, Agile etc buttons are there and the bottom part which says Atlassian Jira 7.0.0 etc..

I tried renaming the plugin subfolders( all four of them) and re started the service and still same issue. So I have decided to do a clean install once again and see if that makes a diff. However this time I am taking a different approach. I am trying a inplace upgrade of Jiar 6.4.12 in a cloned env( windows 2008) and then I ll move the jira home directory in the other jira 7.0.0 which is on windows 2012 server.

Thanks

Leena Bakshi September 5, 2017

Thank you Gaston.  However I am attempting upgrade one more time right now however I need help with the sequencing of the actions that I am performing just to be sure that I am not failing because of following the wrong sequence. 

Would you be able to confirm if I should remove Plugin folder altogether after migrating the data directory to jira 7.0.0 server and before restarting the service?

Also I wanted to tell you that my source server ( old 6.4.12 server) is running on SSL whereas new (7.0.0 server) doesnt have SSL. 

I need to figure out when and at which stage I should configure Jira to run over SSL so that when I am moving application data directory there is less discrepancies. Hope I am making sense.

SO my current plan is 

Leena Bakshi September 5, 2017

And in case it fails is there any specific log that I should be looking for?

Suggest an answer