Upgrade from 6.2 to 6.2.7 exhausts VM memory

Torgeir Hovden June 25, 2014

I'm running a JIRA instance using PostgreSQL. It's been operational for 3 years. During upgrade from 6.2 to 6.2.7 the VM runs out of memory (Xm=1024m, same issue with 1.5GB)

I had to roll back to Jira 6.2.

Any suggestions?

********************************************************************************

JIRA 6.2.7 build: 6265 started. You can now access JIRA through your web browser.

*********************************************************************************

2014-06-25 15:30:13,774 localhost-startStop-1 INFO      [atlassian.jira.upgrade.UpgradeManagerImpl] Detected that an upgrade is needed; existing data at build 6252

2014-06-25 15:30:13,775 localhost-startStop-1 INFO      [atlassian.jira.upgrade.UpgradeManagerImpl] Exporting the existing data..

2014-06-25 15:30:17,827 Modification Check:thread-1 INFO      [atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger]

___ Modifications ___________________________

Modified Files                                : jira-application.properties

Removed Files                                 : None

2014-06-25 15:30:26,789 localhost-startStop-1 INFO      [jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultExportService] Data export completed in 12972ms. Wrote 598779 entities to export in memory.

2014-06-25 15:30:26,790 localhost-startStop-1 INFO      [jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultExportService] Attempting to save the Active Objects Backup

Exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "hipchat-client-io:thread-3"

Exception in thread "httpclient-io:thread-9" Exception in thread "hipchat-client-io:thread-1" Exception in thread "hipchat-client-io:thread-6" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Exception in thread "httpclient-io:thread-5" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2014

1.5G should be enough, but, depends how many addons you are using, they do accumulate and get bigger over time. odd it happened right after the export.

Given it happened on a hipchat client thread, disable/uninstall anything relating to hipchat to start with, perhaps something broke/isnt compatible with the post-upgrade state.

1) Disable chunky addons like Agile to get more Heap.

2) Perhaps if you disable the export it may help (see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Disabling+Auto-Export). Of course, you should only attempt this with a full JIRA_HOME and db backup, in case it breaks.

Torgeir Hovden July 1, 2014

Thank you Andy. I haven't been able to test out your tips, but will report back when I have. Since we do daily database backups I'm thinking the Auto Export isn't that important for us, hence I will turn it off.

Torgeir Hovden July 6, 2014

Disabling XML backups allowed me to successfully upgrade JIRA.

Suggest an answer