Upgrade from 5.2.8 to 6.x.x

Pavlo Slobodian June 16, 2017

Hi Guys,

We're using Jira version 5.2.8, I think with unlimited license for 500 users. I'm not sure that such thing even exists. :)

And we're thinking to move forward to the next version or even higher(7.x.x) but there are few questions that are blocking us from moving forward:

1. License. Do we need to buy a new license for 6.x.x or the old one will work fine? Or we'll need to upgrade the license and pay some amount of money for an upgrade?

2. Upgrading processes. What is the safest way to upgrade it? move to 6.1.0 and then 6.4.0? Will the data be okay?

Thanks,

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2017

Hi Pavlo,

your license is not bound to a particular Jira version. If you still have maintenance for your license, you can update to every version you want.

If you buy a license, you get one year of maintenance and after that, you have to renew maintenance to get newer versions of Jira.

So, it depends on your maintenance status, to which version you can update your Jira.

If you don't have a valid maintenance, you have to buy a new Jira license before updating to the current version of Jira.

I think that we don't have valid maintenance. So we need to pay 18 000 $ (Server version for 500 users) for a new license? or there's a way to buy only maintenance to make it valid? 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2017

No, I don't think so. But please contact Atlassian Support for this:

https://support.atlassian.com/

since this is a community plattform and most of us are just users and admins of Atlassian's products.

Ok, big thanks! :)

Suggest an answer