Upgrade Jira

Jérôme Brandt October 14, 2013

Hi,

I'am using JIRA 6.0 on Ubuntu Server. When I launch the ./atlassian-jira-6.1.1-x64.bin I've got this :

Where should JIRA 6.1.1 be installed?

[/opt/atlassian/jira]

It appears that JIRA is already installed in the directory you selected. Please choose a different directory.

I really need to change the directory ?

Thanks,

4 answers

2 votes
Retro IT January 12, 2014

Yeah that screwed me up few times too. Atlassian should really change the install so the bracketed number or letter(s) comes first.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2014

If you just hit the enter(return) key, it will default to upgrade since the install noticed you had an installation already.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2015

+1 I read description then assumed I had to hit 2 to upgrade, got confused, Ctrl+C, repeated the process without reading properly (dofus), googled, face palmed... Something not so user friendly about the layout of the option text.

1 vote
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2013

Have you chosen the install instead of the upgrade option? You should choose to upgrade...

Upgrading JIRA on Linux

1. Download the appropriate 'JIRA 'Linux 64-bit / 32-bit Installer' (.bin) file that suits your operating system (for the new version of JIRA) from theJIRA Download page.
  2. Open a Linux console and change directory (cd) to the '.bin' file's directory.
    (Warnung)If the '.bin' file is not executable after downloading it, make it executable, for example:
    chmod a+x atlassian-jira-X.Y.bin
    (where X.Y represents your version of JIRA)
  3. Execute the '.bin' file to start the upgrade wizard.
  4. When prompted to choose between creating a new JIRA installation or upgrading an existing installation, choose theUpgrade an existing JIRA installationoption.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Upgrading+JIRA+Using+a+Rapid+Upgrade+Method

Cheers

Hi Christian,

I do this.. I choose '2' but the message appears :

./atlassian-jira-6.1.1-x64.bin
Unpacking JRE ...
Starting Installer ...

This will install JIRA 6.1.1 on your computer.
OK [o, Enter], Cancel [c]
o
Choose the appropriate installation or upgrade option.
Please choose one of the following:
Express Install (use default settings) [1], Custom Install (recommended for advanced users) [2], Upgrade an existing JIRA installation [3, Enter]

[/opt/atlassian/jira]

It appears that JIRA is already installed in the directory you selected. Please choose a different directory.

[/opt/atlassian/jira]

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2013

You have to choose 3!!!

1= express install

2= custom install

3=upgrade

;-)

Like marcelorodcla likes this

Ahhhh! I will try asap!! Thanks... and sorry :/

0 votes
Petr Cervenka October 17, 2019

Had same issue! OMG 3 it is!