Upgrade Jira 4.4.4 32bit to 5.0.6 64bit

Carlos Henriques June 25, 2012

Hi.

My company still uses Jira 4.4.4 32bit and we want to upgrade to the new version (5.0.6 at this moment), but the 64bit edition.

I've found a tutorial explaining how to ugrade to v5. But, how can I upgrade from the 32bit setup to 64bit?

What files should I backup and move\replace in the new installation?

Is there any procedure to follow?

Thanks in advance.

3 answers

0 votes
V June 25, 2012

Following can be done

• Take XML-backup of entire Jira
  • Take complete DB backup
  • Take backup of Jira installation dir and Home dir
  • Install 64 bit version Jira
  • Import the older 32 bit version data (xml backup)

Consider the following

• No Licensing Issue (First and foremost thing)
  • Perform the operation on TEST Environment before proceeding to Production if so.
  • Keep in mind the Jira integrations with other applications if any (crowd, confluence, bamboo, fisheye ....)
  • Consider Jira-Crowd integration if so for User-Management

0 votes
V June 25, 2012

One Suggestion regarding installation "try avoiding installing Jira in C, reason being Jira is a heavy component "

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2012

Hi Carlos,

have a look here: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/34717/how-easy-is-migrating-from-32bit-jira-to-64bit

Maybe you should first migrate to 64 bit and then upgrade to a new version.

Cheers

Thomas

How can I upgrade first to 64bit? The windows 64bit version was only released with the v5.

That answer only says to connect the 64bit edition to Jira database and then do the upgrade.

But, changing the Jira location does not require further steps, like moving atachments, indexing files, config files, etc?

Ins't there a guide for changing from 32bit to 64bit?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2012

You didn't mention that you are using a windows 64 bit version...

So, why not upgrade first to Jira 5 (32 bit) and in another step migrate to 64 Bit as Nic suggested in the other question ?

But, what do I need to do when changing from 32bit to 64bit?

At this moment my Jira installation is at: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian".

If I install the 64bit edition It will be installed at: ""C:\Program Files\Atlassian".

I just need to know what should I backup and move from one folder to another.

And how can I install the 64bit? Should I install it with the 32bit or should I uninstall the 32bit first and them install the 64bit?

Thanks Thomas.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2012

I think it's the same procedure as described here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA050/Migrating+JIRA+to+Another+Server

You have to do a new installation with 64 Bit and point it to the old Jira Home directory and Database. But don't forget to try the upgrade first in a test environment !!

Suggest an answer