Upgrade Java and tomcat for upgrade Jira

jira1 March 24, 2018

I have a jira server on windows server. 

Jira server run on SSl if it mean something to the next question:

a. What are the steps for upgrade jira 6.1 to 6.4 with update java & Tomcat?
I'm going to run the installation and then go to upgreade...
is the upgrade means update tomcat as well or should i do it manually?

b. can you please tell me if upgrade jira version is not automatically update tomcat version...
what is the order to it like:
firs java (jdk or jre-system java) --> than Upgrade tomcat --> than run the upgrade of jira version?

c. ask again...:) is tomcat beeing upgraded automaticaly as part of the jira upgrade?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2018

The upgrade process covers all the elements you are asking about.  Start at https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/upgrading-jira-applications-938846936.html

0 votes
jira1 March 24, 2018

Hi Nick,

Ok, so i am going to use jira installer and i understand that it'll do the job for java and tomact

Am i correcrt?

So..its mean no problem with ssl..(i upgrade same instance same...all same) it'll not crash it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2018

You will need to keep a note of the SSL changes you have made, as the upgrade will overwrite the files you've changed to configure it.

jira1 March 24, 2018

well thanks as for the tomcat and java understand installer fix the problem.

and sorry for the ssl info i gave you, i realize iis take care for the the ssl !!

so i just ask if there need to allow redirect and 443 on jira, cause i asume it usless if jira is goes trough proxy --> iis  ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2018

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/integrating-jira-applications-with-iis-802593039.html - that should cover the IIS connection, although the upgrade will not touch IIS, so if it's working ok now, it should continue to work.  But, there are some settings in the server.xml you may need to re-apply changes to to get IIS to talk to it.

jira1 March 24, 2018

Thanks a lot Nic Thats realy help.

ill do my homework and hope to complete my upgrade :)

Suggest an answer