Upgrade JIRA from 5.2 to 6.2 or 6.3

David Gioia December 17, 2014

We are currently running JIRA version 5.2 and would like to upgrade to a more current version ~ 6.1, 6.2 or 6.3.  In reviewing Q&A on this site, it appears there have been issues when trying to upgrade from 5.2 to 6.3, as well as 5.2 to 6.1 and then to 6.3.

Question #1 - What is the recommended path to upgrade JIRA version 5.2 to version 6.2 or 6.3?

Question #2 - Is there is comprehensive comparison chart available outlining the new features available in each of the versions subsequent to v5.2?

2 answers

0 votes
dyd_bbvapy January 19, 2015

Hi @David Gioia I have the same question. I have the version 5.2 and I would like to migrate to version 6.3. What is your experience? Can you migrate to 6.3 from 5.0? Regards.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2014
  1.  Go from 5.2 to 6.2 or 6.3 - there's nothing to stop you doing this.  The issues people have encountered are generally caused by problematic addons, integrations they've done with other systems, code changes (the worst ones are the injected javascript or the own code they haven't bothered to recompile) or their authentication systems.  You must check the upgrade recommendations for all user installed plugins to avoid this.
  2. Read the release notes for 6.0, 6.1, 6.2 and 6.3

David Gioia December 17, 2014

Nic,

Thank you very much for the prompt feedback.  We can certainly look into the Release notes for 6.0 - 6.3.  Can I assume that 6.0 was the next major release after 5.2?  Should I be looking at other Release Notes?

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2014

Yup, there was no 5.3 (Full history is at https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/download-archives ) The reason I said to look at those release notes and not *all* of them is that you're looking mostly at new features and functions (and for changes to stuff you're using too). The "point" releases such as 6.0.1, 6.0.2, 6.0.3 also have release notes, but they will not have new or changed features. The point releases are almost always nothing but bug fixes and when they're not, they tend to be minor tweaks (change an icon, align some text better, little stuff) The other release notes to read would be the ones for any addons you have installed.

Suggest an answer