Upgrade 6.4.x to 7.5 on a different Server

Sue Bridges September 19, 2017

We have no specific plugins (I deinstalled Automation just in case) and a small installation.  Other plugins we have are all about HipChat and stuff we don't use, so I hope I am OK in not being concerned with them.  I have disabled them all anyway.

Server A has JIRA 6.4.11 on it, Oracle 11.2.x.  Done all my backups etc and copied JIRA_HOME to a place on Server B

Server B has Oracle 12c.  I have installed JIRA 7.5.0 (latest and greatest, thought I'd try it).  It has it's own JIRA_HOME, but using step 3.2 of the migration guide, I've pointed it to my copied 6.4.11 JIRA_HOME.  I have created my Oracle DB for Jira to sit in.

I have now reached the end of Step 3.3.  Step 3.4 and 3.5 seem straightforward to link to the empty database, but then I need clarification.  Step 3.6 says import you XML database.  OK I could do that, but it's 6.4.11.  At what point do I upgrade it using the rapid upgrade method (or some other way)?  It completely misses the need for this in the Migration doc.  Or maybe I'm missing something...

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2017

Which migration guide are you reading?  (There are several!)

Even without them, I think you're mostly going in the right direction, but I would strongly recommend upgrading a copy of the 6.4.11 database to 7.0 and then take that to 7.5.  A large jump in numbers can mean more headaches, but there's also code removed from 7.2 and above for handling the update of data from 6.x, so you really want to go through 7.0

Sue Bridges September 19, 2017

Hi, thanks for the reply.  The doc is called Migrating JIRA applications to another server.

OK, I can delete all the JIRA software installed and install 7.0, but my question would still be at what point do I upgrade?

Also if I start from 7.0, can I then upgrade using the Rapid Upgrade directly to 7.5?

Sue Bridges September 20, 2017

Rolled back to 6.4.11 on new Server and attempting upgrade from that point, so this can be closed.  Documentation on migration with upgrade seems poor though.

Suggest an answer