Upgrade 4.3.4 to 5.1.1 problems with invalid column name

Richard Thomas July 24, 2012

This is with Linux connecting to an MSSQL server.

Upgrade goes well until I try to connect to the service. Then it gives a stack trace complaining about "invalid column 'disabled'". I disabled the autoexport and it gives "invalid column 'WATCHES'" while trying to upgrade.

I found a mention of both these issues by a guy named Marcel in this https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+4.4+Upgrade+Notes upgrade note. His proposed solution, "add <schema-name>dbo</schema-name> to dbconfig.xml" does not help (either replacing the existing schema-name or adding as an additional line)(The schema is verified to be "jira" on the SQL server).

I have read through the upgrade notes but see no answer. As far as I can tell, this is a valid upgrade path

Binary is atlassian-jira-5.1.1-x64.bin

dbconfig looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<jira-database-config>
<name>defaultDS</name>
<delegator-name>default</delegator-name>
<database-type>mssql</database-type>
<schema-name>jira</schema-name>
<jdbc-datasource>
<url>jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://not.the.real.fqdn:1433/jira434</url>
<driver-class>net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver</driver-class>
<username>jira</username>
<password>notthepassword</password>
<pool-size>50</pool-size>
</jdbc-datasource>
</jira-database-config>

Any help much appreciated.

2 answers

0 votes

Increasing the permissions for the Jira user in the database allowed it to add the columns and the upgrade proceeded without issue (I also re-enabled the auto-export).

Given that the "unable to add column" error was present in the log, perhaps it would be better if this was what the displayed fatal error was on the webpage since it is the root cause of the problem.

0 votes

Thinking this might be being caused by the jira user not having permissions to modify the database. Will look into.

Suggest an answer