Updating Jira from 5.0.5 to 5.1

Alireza Yazdanian October 9, 2012

I am using Jira 5.0.5 and I was thinking to upgrade to 5.1 to use the new fetures.

Since my team is working with Jira at the moment, is updating to 5.1 will effect their job. I mean do I need to configure everything again from scratch or it will work after update ?

Regards,

1 answer

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2012

Hi, are you using JIRA OnDemand or the downloaded version? JIRA OnDemand should be upgraded automatically.

You will need to test to ensure everything works as expected after an upgrade. Best to have a test environment and plan the upgrade. There needs to be an outage when the upgrade actually happens. You'll need to schedule this.

Thanks for your prompt reply,

I use the Download version. the reason of I am asking is to see how many days takes to et my team know.

Will it help if it take a complete backup and after update restore it ?

Regards,

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2012

It depends on the size of your instance, but generally we've upgraded instances for clients in less than a couple of hours - assuming all the customizations etc have been tested to be working.

Backups will be important. I suggest that you take a backup of the current instance before attempting any upgrade. Best to test on a test environment as said.

For large instances XML backup/restore will not work.

Have you done an upgrade before? Is JIRA a crucial part of your company? I'd suggest taking extreme care to not cause any disruptions.

Hi Harry,

No I havent done update before. Jira is installed and configured and its working with fisheye and SVN.

At the moment there are not much work going on with Jira. I was thinking to update it before team start working on it again.

I havent done it yet, as I was not so sure if my configuration in jira and the settings with fisheye will remain or should I do it again.

Regards,

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2012

It should be fine if you follow the proper procedures. Just take a backup in case (need to roll back) and be sure to test it first in a test environment if you can.

Suggest an answer