Updated custom field value only for new issues?

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2013

Hi,

I am using a select drop-down custom field for a certain issue type. What i want is to update the values of the options in the drop-down but these updated value should only appear in the newly created issues, right now if I update the values the closed issues also display the updated values, how to avoid that?

Thanks!!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2013

There's nothing you can do in Jira, it simply doesn't have any functionality to do that. (It would need to store the date you add the options and compare it with issue creation date every time you opened an issue)

Best you can do is hard code some javascript into the front end to suppress options you don't want.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2013

Jira should come up with something as this is a pretty common requirement, keeping the old custom field values and having new ones only for the new issues!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2013

I'm not sure it's "common". I've never been asked for it in the 8ish years I've been working with Jira.

Suggest an answer