Updated custom field for parent task, but the sub-task didn't "update" at the same time?

Nathan May 1, 2013

I'm using filter that uses a custom field in the JQL:

project = IRW and cf[10400] = "Integration Platform" and status != closed ORDER BY Rank ASC

Some of the issues are mis-categorized so I've been manually fixing them by editing the issue and changing the custom field to be correct.

Unfortunately, this isn't working for sub-tasks... my custom field IS NOT on the sub-tasks, but sub-tasks are showing up in my filter (because the parent has the custom field?)

When I edit the parent and correct the custom field value, the parent issue falls off my filter, but the sub-tasks are still on my filter.

What is going on? How do I get these sub-tasks off of my filter? I've tried opening them up to edit them, but the custom-field is not on the sub-task... so I'm not sure what to do.

Thank you!

--

Nathan

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nathan May 1, 2013

You know what? I think the problem is NOT that the sub-task is inheriting the field value from the parent, I think that the sub-task USED TO HAVE the custom field on it, but we later removed it.

Now those sub-tasks probably have that field value in the database, but none of the other sub-tasks do...

Yep, I just checked the database... it has that old value in there. I think that is the problem.

Nathan May 2, 2013

Yep! this was my problem. Thank you all for your help!

0 votes
richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2013

Hi there,

Try using this instead,

project = Integrations_RBAWs_WebServices AND issuetype != Sub-task AND cf[10400]="Integration Platform / APIs" and status != closed ORDER BY Rank ASC

Hope thie helps :)

0 votes
skorzinetzki May 1, 2013

Do you want to have some subtasks in there? If not, how about filtering on specific issue types to exclude these subtasks?! I think, you can get around this problem with this.

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2013

Hi, what custom field is this? Have you tried a re-index?

Nathan May 1, 2013

The custom field is called "Category" and it is a cascading select ("Category" is the parent, "Subcategory" is the child in the cascading select).

A re-index did not fix the problem.

Here's a picture:

http://i.imgur.com/AaSz8jo.png

Suggest an answer