Update issue manually vs script

Neta Elyakim
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2018

Hey everyone,

I'm developing a process in Jira and I need help understanding the difference between update the issue manually (click on edit > update) and update issue by script https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/7.6.1/com/atlassian/jira/issue/IssueManager.html#updateIssue-com.atlassian.jira.user.ApplicationUser-com.atlassian.jira.issue.MutableIssue-com.atlassian.jira.event.type.EventDispatchOption-boolean-\\ 

I have a field that updates if I update the issue manually but not in a script.
I'm using "Power Database Fields PRO" add-on that gets the value from the DB (this part is working) the problem is just with the update issue (manually vs script).
For scripting, I'm using ScriptRunner.

I hope someone can help me understand if I can add something to my script in order to imitate the behavior of the manual action.

Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2018

there should be no real difference.  When you click edit > update, it's just a different way of calling the same functions that a script calls.

My best guess is that the app you're using (power database fields pro) is doing something on the front-end with the UI, as well as updating on the back-end.  Scripts do not go through the front-end, so anything injected there won't happen, and if you need them to, you'll have to replicate the function in the script.

Neta Elyakim
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2018

Thank you Nic! I hope cprime could provide more details.

Suggest an answer