Update existing issues using a CSV file import.

Diego Polanco March 16, 2015

I wonder how can i update existing fields for existing CR(issues) importing a CSV ? 

I dont want to import. i just want to update exisiting issues/CRs

4 answers

1 vote
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2015

You need to add the issue key in your csv file

key, summary, field1
ABC-123, your summary, value1

In that case issue ABC-123 gets updated (summary and field1)

i create a CSV:

Key,Summary,Labels
PORT-3188,DELETE,TRACT

after i ran the import, JIRA creates a new issue, it does not update the label. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2015

Did you map your key to Jira's issue key? And is there definitely an issue with key PORT-3188?

Yes, I did. My jira db has an issue called: PORT-3188

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2015

Hmm, I've updated many issues that way. Never a problem. When importing are you using the PORT project?

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2015

Found follwing comment in the JIRA Docs: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Importing+Data+from+CSV#ImportingDatafromCSV-TipsforimportingCSVdataintoJIRAfields Please note that JIRA has currently two CSV Importers: 1.Available under Issues top menu - is the one that can be used by non-administrator users. It can only create new issues under specified project. It's secure method, but it only allows to use fields that are visible on Create Issue Dialog 2.Available under External System Import in System menu - this one is only for administrators, it gives much bigger power over the importer, e.g: you can specify Issue Keys, Statuses and update existing issues. So if you'd like to update issues you will need to have admin permissions and use the second importer. > So maybe you didn't use the importer for admin which can update the issues?

Like # people like this
Dawn Porter March 18, 2015

I've attempted to locate the import csv function and not successful. I only have a "Create Issue" button. I want to import an existing excel spreadsheet with approximately 30 rows and 10 columns into JIRA so that I can subsequently link them to existing JIRAs or work as stand alone JIRAs. Is this possible and if so, how? Thanks.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2015

So if you don't see the import function under the more menu, you're probably on an older version of JIRA. But as an admin you should be able to find it. Type 'gg' + external system import .

Elliot Gates August 6, 2018

FYI - you need global admin permissions to do this. Without this, you can import, but you cant update existing issues via csv

Like Alvaro Londoño likes this
Eugene Yasiuchenko August 7, 2018

What creates the confusion - is that there are two different imports.

One of them does not need admin rights but does not require admin rights. The other one needs admin rights but allows to update existing issues and work with issues with multiple projects

0 votes
Samuel_Nittala April 9, 2020

Are the admin rights required at JIRA Global Level(Super Admin) or at Project Level ?

Juzer Sharafali April 20, 2020

The admin rights are required at the Jira Global level.

0 votes
farah.naili December 2, 2019

im looking for the update by csv where you guys described, i do have admin rights, but cannot even follow the path you are describing... not even jira official steps seem to fit what i have on my screen... seeing as this conversation is old, does this feature still exist?

0 votes
Eugene Yasiuchenko June 12, 2018

Suggest an answer