Update assignee with a custom field value with a transition

Julian Zitsch December 1, 2015

Hi JIRA Experts,

What I want to do?

In our "Quote" issue we have a custom field, which is called "Account Responsible" (Userpicker). This person is responsible for a specific process step. For this reason "auto-assign" would be perfect.

The first question: Which post-function I have to use for this? With "Update Issue Field" I can not assign to a value available in a custom field.

The second question: In some cases the auto-assignment to the entered Account Responsible is not correct, because of process differences (subsidiaries etc.). In this case the user wants to have to possibility to overwrite it. I know this is possible with "assign" afterwards (not so smoth). My idea and question: Is it possible to have the "Assign" field in a screen and that JIRA adds the "auto-assign-recommendation" to it?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Julian

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2015

On the first question, you'll need an add-on to provide a post-function that can "copy user from picker field into assignee".  I'd use the script-runner to do this (it has a built-in script that can do it, and if you decide to do something more clever, you can)

On the second - no, not really.  JIRA will pre-fill an empty assignee with a string saying "I'll auto assign this" which the users can select another assignee from if they want, but you can't pre-fill it with the actual selection.  The reason for that is you can't know who the assign will be until the user fills in and commits the component field.  Once the field is filled of course, you've got an assignee (although you can use a post-function to re-run the auto-assign logic if you want!)

Julian Zitsch December 3, 2015

Hi Nic, thanks for your answer. To 1) I have seen that this function is also available with the "JIRA issue template" plugin which is already installed :) To 2) That is not my wished result ;-). Assignment to component lead is not suitable in our usecase at the moment. Maybe we can change our component usage... Regards, Julian

Suggest an answer