Update User Cloud Rest API dosn't work.

John Johnston June 26, 2017

I have successfully created a user (POST /rest/api/2/user), but am unable to update users (PUT /rest/api/2/user).  I have tried to change emailAddress, displayName, and active status without any success.  I am getting "Internal server error" for emailAddress and displayName update attempts, and "No value found to be changed" for active status.

I realize that update user is "experimental", and I have managed to locate a Nov 2016 document (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/user-management-rest-api-changes-in-jira-cloud-858756548.html) which discusses limitations, though it implies that active status should be modifyable.

Inability to make even basic user changes is a sever limitation for my application.

Some questions:

1. Is there a more recent document describing rest API limitations?
  2. Is there a more recent document describing update user in particular?
  3. What lies ahead for update user?  Is it on a roadmap where some control will be exposed?
  4. Is there another API that exposes update user functionality?

2 answers

1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 19, 2017

Hi John,
There have been changes recently to the Cloud API.  They are cited in the KB article you linked to:  User management REST API changes in JIRA Cloud

Update user
    PUT     /api/2/user     

This request can only modify the "active status" of the user
    Passwords included in the request payload will always be ignored

This particular rest end point is only able to set the active/inactive status of a user now, it cannot be used any longer to change values like email address.   I am afraid that there is not any other REST endpoint that can make this change in Cloud at this time.

The Cloud offerings have changed this because they are rolling out a new means to manage these accounts.  

Perhaps you could look into using JIRA Server as a means to manage these user accounts via REST.  The Server side does not have this same restriction, but of course this implies that you would be hosting and managing your own JIRA instance rather than using the Cloud offerings.

0 votes
Sara Filipa Gomes Oliveira October 11, 2017

Hi John.

You said that you created a user. Can you show me how you do that? I already try many things but unfortunately I can't obtain the result I want :(

Thanks in advance.

Suggest an answer