Update NULL customfields via REST API (jira-ruby)

I'm specifically working with Ruby jira-ruby but I'm having trouble even finding examples in the Atlassian Tutorial on how to do this -- which makes me suspicious.

I create an issue and some custom fields are NULL and others are populated.

For those custom fields that are populated, I can update those fields through the API. Actually I can do this a number of ways with different libraries.

For those custom fields that are NULL I haven't been able to update those fields through the REST API.

Is there a different structure to the JSON for adding a customfield? I'm just trying to update a custom field of "First Name" from NULL to "Tom". it's a simply string, not a drop down or select list. And I'm stuck.

1 answer

The issue isn't trying to fill in a NULL field.

The issue is that you have to have a valid issue before you can do this.

I was trying to edit one field, but there were several required fields that weren't popluated. This failed screen validation. this happens when you create a ticket from email.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,296 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot