Update Jira 5.1.6 to new Jira 5.2 but at the first startup it behaves like a new empty installation

Marcel Müller November 20, 2012

Hi erverbody,

i have a Jira 5.1.6 Installation that running on a mysql DB.

I updated it to the new 5.2 Version, but after the first startup it behaves like a new installation and ask me about my language and if it should run on the internal or an external database.

I have tried a update to 5.1.8 but there is the same behavior...

Can anybody help me with this?

3 answers

0 votes
Marcel Müller November 25, 2012

Has anyone any idea on this issue?

0 votes
Terry Jeske November 20, 2012

Did you reindex? All of my issues were missing until I reindexed.

Marcel Müller November 21, 2012

i have checked the files, before the update all files are ok but after the upgrade it seems the update delete the complett jira directory inclusive the dbconfig.xml and the attachments directory.

That would explain why it behaves like a complett new installation.

But that can not be intention of an update or?

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2012

How are you updating? Using the upgrade utility? Or are you installing a 5.2 environment?

In the latter case, make sue the JIRA Home property is updated in WEB-INF/classes/jira-application.properties file. If it s correct, verify that the database details are correct under JIRA_HOME/dbconfig.xml.

If you use upgrade utility, JIRA Home should be picked up automatically but just verify!

Marcel Müller November 20, 2012

The envoriment is a debian linux and i update jira with the 5.2 bin package from their website. Installation Art is Point 3 (update a existing jira installation).

What is the upgrade utility?

I will check the configuration files and dbconfig.xml file but with the same files the last update from 4.x to 5.1.6 worked without problems...

Suggest an answer