Unresolved stories do not move to next sprint

Rajiv Pillai March 4, 2014

Hi All,

There seems to be a discrepancy on the below link:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Ending+a+Sprint

It mentions the below 2 conflicting points:

- Any issues not completed at the end of the sprint will be moved to the next planned sprint
- Any incomplete issues will move back into the backlog

We have the next sprint defined, and yet on closing the existing sprint, the issues aren't carried forward. Any advice? We're using OnDemand.

License Information for JIRA - JIRA v6.2-OD-10-004-WN
JIRA Agile v6.3.8.1
JIRA Capture v2.7.2.1

12 answers

6 votes
philip hood April 24, 2014

The removal of the functionality that allowed me to CHOOSE whether to put these stories into a new sprint or into the backlog is unacceptable. I understand the recomendations and the purist point of view. However as I try to move my organization to a better I need to be able to support the current reality efficiently. This crippling of your product wasts a great deal of my time each week. Please do not enforce the modthodology unless I ask you to in a confiuration setting. This used to be a strength of GreenHopper.

1 vote
BBury June 18, 2020

This seems to occur when creating/starting/closing a sprint from different boards. It is recommended that the sprint is started and closed from the board that it was created on.

Shawn L August 12, 2020

Do you have more details of why this occurs?

Is it possibly related to permissions in other project spaces when the sprint code is being updated on issues, and basically rejects that as a valid change, and defaults back to the backlog?

@mauroI see you originally were on this thread back in 2014. Is it possible to have this verified by Atlassian?

1 vote
CSaxon November 21, 2014

This is an issue for me as well, I do recall at some point it was working mid summer, now all uncompleted items get moved to backlog which is frustrating

0 votes
Katharina Schätz May 3, 2021

@mo @mo @Mauro Badii @Mo You all have an Atlassian team tag, and I dunno which one is the right one (aka the one called Mauro, that responded to this thread in 2014 - maybe he doesn't work with you guys anymore). :)

But there seem to be a lot of people that have been experiencing this issue over a number of years. I was wondering if one of you could shine some light on how we can solve this problem!

Are there any outcomes or workarounds so far? Or maybe you can give us some transparency when this might be tackled? It might be an edge case for you, but trust me it is VERY annoying to deal with as a user. :D

Thanks in advance!

Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2021

hi @Katharina Schätz  I'm still happy at Atlassian :)

I'm sorry to hear that the behaviour is really problematic for you. I can imagine.

I found that there was a fix on version 7.1.x https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-15583 with the inclusion of a dialog box to decide what to do with such issues.

I'm not working in Support any longer to be able to assist in detail but I'm sure that my colleagues there will be able to troubleshoot or give any more updates on the problem. 

get in touch via https://support.atlassian.com/

Cheers!
Mauro (Mo) ;)

0 votes
Adrian Pilgrim June 17, 2020

I too am experiencing this same issue.
Does anyone who the bug/ticket tracking this issue?

0 votes
BBury March 4, 2020

Same here. Sometimes it works flawlessly, but randomly it doesn't.

0 votes
Lakshmi Shekaripuram June 21, 2019

Is this issue addressed? We just experienced same behavior. Please provide an update. 

0 votes
Felix Hoffmann October 4, 2018

We are experiencing the very same issue and it is super annoying to search in a huge backlog for the stories that have been dropped from a previously closed sprint. Please solve this as soon as possible.

0 votes
Dani Weiden March 18, 2015

Yeah well, I had the same issue and support cannot figure out what happened. They send me here to see that others are having the same issue... I guess to make me feel better... which did not help... just makes me more upset that this has been happening for almost a year now and no one has made attempts to fix or explain what happened or give us a workaround (at least not that I can see). If anyone has any info, please pass on. Thanks a million.

0 votes
Anthony King March 10, 2015

So is there a bug that's actually tracking this? We just ran into the same issue in JIRA Agile 6.3.9.1

0 votes
Motti December 13, 2014

i experience this behavior too.

0 votes
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2014

Hi Rajiv,

In the first paragrah of the documentation it explains:

On the final day of the sprint the team will complete the sprint — this will usually occur immediately prior to the sprint demo and retrospective. Any issues not completed at the end of the sprint will be moved to the next planned sprint, as they did not meet the team's definition of "Done". If you do not have a next planned sprint, they will be returned to the backlog.

So it is actually both, moved to the next sprint or to the backlog if there is no planned sprint.

You mentioned that although having a planned sprint, issues are not carried forward. Do you mean that they are not sent to the next planned sprint? Do they go directly to the Backlog? What happens to incomplete issues?

Cheers,
Mauro

Rajiv Pillai March 5, 2014

Yes, they are moved to the backlog, despite the next sprint being defined. This isnt desired behaviour.

Like Ana Schnepf likes this
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
March 6, 2014

I just ran a test on my test instance and they were correctly moved to the next sprint.

Would you be kind to create a Support Request at support.atlassian.comso we can do more testing on your instance and find out if there is another condition that is causing this?

Thanks!
Mauro

Paulina Morrison Fell March 16, 2014

Hi, I experienced this too. I closed my current Sprint, some of the issues moved to the next planned sprint, but others went back to the backlog (some to the top, and some to the middle), so I had to track them down and move them back to the new sprint.

Could you point me towards the Support Request created for this? Thanks!

Dustin Kerstein November 3, 2014

This just happened to me as well. I have several future sprints planned (but not started) and all of the incomplete issues were moved to the backlog - not to the top of the backlog which would have okay, but mixed all throughout the backlog. Is there a bug documenting this issue? I'm on Jira v6.0.6

Jerry October 25, 2018

This is happening in our instance of JIRA as well.  Is there an Issue/Bug that is tracking this problem?

Jerry August 12, 2020

fyi... This is no longer happening in our instance of JIRA.

Suggest an answer