Unresolved stories do not move to next sprint

Hi All,

There seems to be a discrepancy on the below link:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Ending+a+Sprint

It mentions the below 2 conflicting points:

- Any issues not completed at the end of the sprint will be moved to the next planned sprint
- Any incomplete issues will move back into the backlog

We have the next sprint defined, and yet on closing the existing sprint, the issues aren't carried forward. Any advice? We're using OnDemand.

License Information for JIRA - JIRA v6.2-OD-10-004-WN
JIRA Agile v6.3.8.1
JIRA Capture v2.7.2.1

6 answers

The removal of the functionality that allowed me to CHOOSE whether to put these stories into a new sprint or into the backlog is unacceptable. I understand the recomendations and the purist point of view. However as I try to move my organization to a better I need to be able to support the current reality efficiently. This crippling of your product wasts a great deal of my time each week. Please do not enforce the modthodology unless I ask you to in a confiuration setting. This used to be a strength of GreenHopper.

Hi Rajiv,

In the first paragrah of the documentation it explains:

On the final day of the sprint the team will complete the sprint — this will usually occur immediately prior to the sprint demo and retrospective. Any issues not completed at the end of the sprint will be moved to the next planned sprint, as they did not meet the team's definition of "Done". If you do not have a next planned sprint, they will be returned to the backlog.

So it is actually both, moved to the next sprint or to the backlog if there is no planned sprint.

You mentioned that although having a planned sprint, issues are not carried forward. Do you mean that they are not sent to the next planned sprint? Do they go directly to the Backlog? What happens to incomplete issues?

Cheers,
Mauro

Yes, they are moved to the backlog, despite the next sprint being defined. This isnt desired behaviour.

I just ran a test on my test instance and they were correctly moved to the next sprint.

Would you be kind to create a Support Request at support.atlassian.comso we can do more testing on your instance and find out if there is another condition that is causing this?

Thanks!
Mauro

Hi, I experienced this too. I closed my current Sprint, some of the issues moved to the next planned sprint, but others went back to the backlog (some to the top, and some to the middle), so I had to track them down and move them back to the new sprint.

Could you point me towards the Support Request created for this? Thanks!

This just happened to me as well. I have several future sprints planned (but not started) and all of the incomplete issues were moved to the backlog - not to the top of the backlog which would have okay, but mixed all throughout the backlog. Is there a bug documenting this issue? I'm on Jira v6.0.6

This is an issue for me as well, I do recall at some point it was working mid summer, now all uncompleted items get moved to backlog which is frustrating

i experience this behavior too.

So is there a bug that's actually tracking this? We just ran into the same issue in JIRA Agile 6.3.9.1

Yeah well, I had the same issue and support cannot figure out what happened. They send me here to see that others are having the same issue... I guess to make me feel better... which did not help... just makes me more upset that this has been happening for almost a year now and no one has made attempts to fix or explain what happened or give us a workaround (at least not that I can see). If anyone has any info, please pass on. Thanks a million.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Jira

Join our webinar: How 1B+ feature flag events helped us build the new Jira

Every time you release software, there's a bit of risk – that there's a bug, that something breaks, or that the feature doesn't resonate with customers. Feature flagging helps make high stakes s...

100 views 0 1
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you