Unique identifier or category for versions in JIRA

shampa
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2012

A Version in JIRA can represent a software version and at the same time a child version under the same can represent as SPRINT. Can we add some identifier/category field on version screen so that we may identify Sprints from versions without looking at the version name(version name as version 5.0 or Sprint 1 is a very subjective judgement)

1 answer

0 votes
SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2012

Hi Shampa,

There isn't a way to differentiate versions, except by using different names.

This is different in GreenHopper 6, where sprints are not versions but instead a unique field only available ibn GreenHopper.

What were you hoping to do if you could differentiate versions from sprints?

-Simon

shampa
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2012

If I could differentiate I would say that items in my version but not in any sprints are yet to be planned in microdetail. Items under the version but planned in Sprints(child versions inside main version) already are the ones wherein all the groundwork is done, scope is clear and acceptance criteria are known and one can just get down to do and close the delivery defined in the sprint.

Having said that, if I need to attach a reporting tool ( my own) and fetch data from JIRA, I could etxract easily without having to bother what naming convention any team has used to mark Sprint scope or Version scope.

Suggest an answer