[Unified Reporting Dashboards] How to draw data from multiple Jira-instances?

Lucas Molenaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2013

I quote:

Gadgets can be added to a dashboard that draw their data from another linked and trusted JIRA instance. This enables a unified reporting overview of all relevant instances. ...

... having one central instance in your federation that runs reporting of all projects in all remaining JIRA systems!

I have two linked Jira instances but I cannot find out how to draw data from both instances. e.g. I like to create a dashboard with a gadget showing all 'Major' issues raised in instance A and instance B. As the gadgets are based on search queries, which do not support selecting the instance to search into, I wonder how this can be achieved.

Kindly requesting advise.

Source: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/ATLAS/Federating+JIRA+-+Managing+Multiple+Instances

3 answers

0 votes
Branden Jordan June 12, 2014

Thank you Scott, this has been helpful. Although I am an admin I don’t see the “Add Gadget to Directory” or the “Gadget Subscriptions” options that Ryan sees on the “Gadget Directory” modal. I did some more digging with another one of our Jira admins who does see these options and it appears that you get these options only if you have the correct type of admin permissions.

0 votes
Scott Dudley [Inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2014

The presence of the two JIRA systems in the app navigator (top left corner) doesn't necessarily mean that the systems are linked internally, for gadgets or for anything else. Did you register the external gadget feed from the other JIRA system? I assume you already have application links set up between the two instances as well?

0 votes
Branden Jordan June 12, 2014

Running into the same problem as there’s no apparent way to reference the gadget defined in another linked instance when you’re going through the workflow of setting it up. When you add the filter results gadget to a dashboard the user is never presented with an opportunity to pull in or reference the external gadget.

Here are the specific repro steps of the workflow.

1. In the top left corner verify that I can switch between jira-Foo and jira-Bar instances
  2. Create a Filter Results gadget on a jira-Bar dashboard and save it.
  3. Note there’s no way to name the gadget in any meaningful way so how will it be referenced from the other project? By URL?
  4. Switch instances and go to my dashboard on Foo. Note at this point there is no way to reference the Filter Results gadget from jira-Bar in step 2.
  5. Click “Add Gadget” in the top right and get a popup of gadgets to choose from. At this point there is still no way to reference the Filter Results gadget from jira-Bar in step 2.
  6. Choose the Filter Results gadget and click “Add it Now”
  7. From here you are asked to choose a filter. From here I also cannot reference the filter that defined the Filter Results gadget from jira-Bar in step 2 and no way to reference the Filter Results gadget either.

Unsure if we’re not getting the option to link because of a config issue or a workflow misstep.

Suggest an answer