Unexpected error in customized workflow

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2012

I slightly modified a workflow copied from the Default (basically removing Resolved step and all pointers to/from it which I'm using for Tasks alone).

Now I'm trying to work in another modification, that being a "Blocked" status. So far, my mapping looks flawless, but I get an odd error ONLY when I put the issue into Closed, then Reopen it, then move it to my new Blocked column. (I'm doing all these transitions in my GH agile board, btw).

Though I have a transition from both the Open and Reopened state to Blocked and from Blocked back to Open, I get this error:

"It seems that you have tried to perform a workflow operation (Reopen Issue) that is not valid for the current state of this issue (Reopened). The likely cause is that somebody has changed the issue recently, please look at the issue history for details.Please refresh the issue and try again."

It tells me that when I'm taking a reopened issue and putting it Blocked!

See my text view workflow attached.

14 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2012

Hey Doug,

I just updated your support ticket but wanted to make sure I included this here as well -

I looked everything over and it seems as though everything is configured correctly. Running through the process a few times (you may have gotten notifications on the ticket), this seems to be an indexing issue. If you make a few changes in a short period of time, the indexing has not yet caught up on the status of the item, so moving it again it's not sure that it is a valid transition. However, if you notice, even though you get the error, the issue does transition. I moved it a few times and then waited about 5 minutes, and when I transitioned the issue again, there was no error.

I think if you're moving things around a lot in a short period of time, you might want to do a re-index (or give it a few minutes), or just ignore that message as long as it seems to be completing the transition.

Thanks,
-dave

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2012

Thanks Dave. I'll check it out, and in the meantime call this case closed, but to me, this still seems a bug with Greenhopper in specific. I say that just because when I transition quickly in full Jira view of a ticket, no errors are thrown. I understand under the hood, it may be indexing, but only Greenhopper gets confused and displays an issue. Up to you all if you want to fix it, but for me, I'm going to ignore this now unless or until it becomes a problem in real-world use. Thanks for your help.

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2012

also, i just tried to wait and did so once for over 10 minutes to find it didn't prevent the GH error.

i've found that for some reason, the ticket MUST go to Closed > Reopened, and then the error shows. waiting over ten minutes didn't prevent it, so i'm not fully certain waiting an hour or more (in real world) will be any different.

0 votes
NeeKer October 5, 2013

I am encountering the same problem. Do you have a fix for this?

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

I would not resolve this yet. Wait to figure out what the root cause of the issue is. Then post the final resolution here and accept that as an answer. This way other users can find the answer without having to go to support.

Cheers,
Boris

0 votes
Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

ok done. how do i resolve this question thread then?

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

Hey Doug,

This may be a bug, but we would need to confirm this by checking the configuration. I think you should open a support ticket (http://support.atlassian.com) and include a link to this answers post.

Cheers,
Boris

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

Hey Doug,

This may be a bug, but we would need to confirm this by checking the configuration. I think you should open a support ticket (http://support.atlassian.com) and include a link to this answers post.

Cheers,
Boris

0 votes
Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

trying again

0 votes
Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

Here's a shot of the GH view with some explanation. After more time trying to reproduce in Jira (full view of issue), I can't reproduce. Seems a GH bug.

0 votes
Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

let me stress that i'm using GH (ondemand) and transitioning there. this seems a GH bug to me. i'm now alternating statuses in the full Jira issue view and not seeing any issues there.

0 votes
Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

image came through above in my last comment, at least i see it now. let me know if you do not.

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

Hey Doug,

I think that screenshots in comments may be broken. Can you upload it to imgur or something and provide a link?

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

To troubleshoot something like this we would need to see all the conditions, validators, and post functions you have in your Block Issue transition.

0 votes
Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

one minute, my new image upload didn't go through... trying again

0 votes
Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

does this help? i didn't edit or add to any of those.

Suggest an answer