Unexpected Results with JQL and "Request Type"

David Brownell July 15, 2014

I am getting what appear to be inconsistent results with a JQL Query. In my database, I have 4153 tickets. I noticed some pecularities when running queries with "Request Type" and whittled it down to the following scenarios:

"(("Request Type" is empty) or ("Request Type" is not empty))" yields 4001 tickets (4153 were expected)

"not (("Request Type" is empty) or ("Request Type" is not empty))" yields 0 tickets (0 were expected)

Any ideas?

I am using JIRA v6.3-OD-08-005-WN

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2014

What type of custom field is "Request Type"?

Also, could you check the field context and the field configurations - I suspect you might find 152 issues are in projects that the field does not exist for.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2014

Ran into it on Friday myself. I know it sort of makes sense when you think it through, but it's not obvious or intuitive! And I keep forgetting it.

David Brownell July 15, 2014

That was some amazing psychic debugging you just performed - you were exactly right.

When I restrict the query to a specific project, things work as expected.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Suggest an answer