Undoing a CSV Import?

Bob Poniatowski February 4, 2014

I imported 400+ issues in csv format from our previous bug base. Unfortunately the import started numbering at bug #1, even though there were already 100+ bugs entered into Jira.

No warning that the import would overwrite the existing bugs. :(

Is there any way to get the 100+ bugs back? Can I restore the database from earlier today? Unfortunately I did not do a manual backup myself.

3 answers

0 votes
tech support December 14, 2016

I'm having a similar issue. My original csv import file does not contain an issue key field. 

If I try to import the same file again, your saying it will just created new issues?

0 votes
Bob Poniatowski February 4, 2014

Thanks, I did have a ticket open already, I posted here as well in case there was a simple answer others had run across in the past.

Support was able to do a restore of our database from a backup taken at midnight, so most of what we'd lost has been recovered. They're now investigating why a csv import would act as a 'merge' rather than as an 'append'.

But it's good to know that they're doing regular backups of the data on their end. Thanks again for the suggestions.

pborkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2014

Hi Bob,

The CSV and JSON Importers allows to update the exisitng issues if you specify the "Issue Key" mapping. I guess that's what happend in your case. If you drop "Issue Key" mapping and reimport the CSV file, new issues will be created and none of the existing ones should be touched.

We would like to fix the lack of user-warining for updating issues in the next JIM release ( https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/JIM-1165).

0 votes
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2014

Hi Bob,

The instance can be restored to a previous state but there is no way to get the bugs back without doing a restore.

If you are on Jira OnDeamand, I would recommend opening a request at support.atlassian.com to investigate on the problem and get your instance restored if you chose to do so.

Cheers,
Mauro

Suggest an answer