Understanding of Licensing in Jira Dev Env

Leena Bakshi September 29, 2017

Hi

I am trying to understand how does licensing work in the dev env?

So we have our current production server and right now I am in the middle of an upgrade. so for now I am using evaluation license of higher jira version(7.0.0 and 7.3.3) and once this goes success then I ll do the same for the production jira upgrade but will update the current prod jira license and shall not be a problem.

But we will need a test env as we always have one dev and one prod env for all our apps. Now how will the licenses be seen in this dev env?  Shall I just  clone the prod env after the upgrade and call it dev and dont worry about licenses or I need to have separate licenses for the software and all the addons in the dev?

latter one doesnt make sense to me as paying double money one for prod and one for dev. However I think I am missing some imp link here.

Sorry if its a silly question.

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2017

For you dev environment you can download a developer license for all the licenses that you currently have, just go to my.atlassian.com and generate it.

Leena Bakshi October 6, 2017

Thank you that worked.

Yovan_Escobar November 21, 2017

I have to do the same, I clone the production instance but I cannot Authenticate with my admin credentials to my clone instance. I just generated a developers license, where Can I upload it to the server? Not in the console since I cannot authenticate? 

Leena Bakshi November 21, 2017

Yovan, I hope you have one local account to jira in case domain account doesnt work.. Try logging in using that credential.

Yovan_Escobar November 21, 2017

Hi Leena,

Yes we have a production account with a commercial license, we generated a developer license. So I clone my production instance and RDS instance, now I am trying to access my clone instance, I am able to start jira using the <IP>:<8085> but I get an error when I try to authenticate using my admin credentials. So I am thinking it's because I cannot have 2 production instances with the license. Since I cannot authenticate in the console, do you know of where I can copy/paste my developer license in the file system.

Error I get 

2017-11-21 09:12:34,108 http-apr-8085-exec-12 ERROR anonymous 552x11x1 1uqldno 222.223.30.54 /rest/gadget/1.0/login [crowd.manager.application.ApplicationServiceGeneric] Directory 'Crowd Server' is not functional during authentication of 'administrator'. Skipped.

2017-11-21 09:11:57,820 http-apr-8085-exec-4 WARN anonymous 551x4x3 1uqldno 222.223.30.54 /rest/api/1.0/shortcuts/6264/40fd87fbb177fbc4640a04e96792ee2e/shortcuts.js [com.plugenta.jiraauditor.RequestProcessor] <span style="color: red">Your license has expired. Please <a href="https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.plugenta.jiraauditor">renew it now</a>.</span>

Suggest an answer