Understanding Jira Schema

Mosh October 30, 2014

Hello
I'm now evaluating Jira. Forgive me if I'm asking a question of beginners.

I created two projects and it seems they're both based on the same schema.
Now, if I want to change one of the projects (e.g. set a new field), it also affects the other project.
So how should I change one project only? What's the best practice?
Actually I'd like to isolate the project schemas so I can change one separately. In a similar tools (like Rational ClearQuest\ RTC) we used to create two separated schema.

This leads to another question: what if I want to test the changes before it affects all users?
In other tools I can set a test database so I can all my changes on a separated testing environment before putting it into production.
Please advice and let me know the best practices.

THANK YOU!

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2014

JIRA's Custom Fields can be scoped via Contexts through entities like the Project (so it only appears in X rather than Y) and IssueType, or even Screens within workflows.

JIRA hasn't got a facility to 'dry run' that kind of configuration, to test things before the affect everyone, use a separate Test instance.  Commercially licensed customers can generate a Developer license from the https://my.atlassian.com Production License, you're free to create any number of non-production instance just testing just like that.

Suggest an answer