Unattended Jira installation in docker

Fabian Gut February 24, 2015

Hi all

I'm currently working on a dockerized version of JIRA (https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/inftec/jira/) which is based on the TAR archive. As we're managing our hosts with puppet I'm now trying to automate the installation through the use of environment variables and an initialization script. I managed to configure the database connection through dbconfig.xml.

Is there any way to configure the rest of the steps from the setup wizard in a similar fashion?

I've tried setting the values in jira-application.properties (eg. jira.title, jira.baseurl, jira.mode, etc.) but with no success. Any help on that?

Regards
Fabian

2 answers

1 vote
Fabian Gut February 25, 2015

Hi Pedro

I thought about that as well. The problem with this is, that it only works with the bin installer and only at install time but not at run time. I want to install JIRA directly into the docker container. Installing it at startup of the container would greatly increase the startup time of the container (download, installation, startup). For containers which get destroyed regularly, this would cause a huge overhead. Also tagging container according to the installed JIRA version wouldn't work as well anymore.

It would be great if I could supply all the necessary values in jira-application.properties (or some other file) and the setup wizard would use those instead of asking me (like it does with the database configuration). Actualy, according to documentation I should be able to supply JIRA title through that file (jira.title=Example Inc.) but the wizard still just uses the default ("My Company", I believe).

Regards
Fabian

0 votes
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2015

Fabian,

Perhaps you can use the Unattended Installation steps (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Installing+JIRA+on+Linux#InstallingJIRAonLinux-PerforminganUnattendedInstallation) and modify the required file to suit your needs.

Hope this helps! smile

-- Pedro

Suggest an answer