Unassigned user question

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2015

I inherited a very large JIRA instance with 100s of projects. 

When I look up the user "unassigned" I see that a user exists with that username and an email address assigned to the user. 

Is this a user that was created by someone before my time or is that just part of JIRA? The fact that there is Delete option available for this user tells me that it was created by someone. 

If this is this is the case, can I then assign all these tickets that are currently assigned to Unassigned, then to the built-in unassigned JIRA user? 

2 answers

1 vote
Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2015

Hi Nariman

And for the last part of your question about change assigne, find your issues assinged to "Unassigned" user. 

JQL: assignee=unassigned

And then choose bulk change (Top right corner of your issue navigator) in order to change all of them. Bulk change has bulk edit option.

Thanks!

1 vote
Andre Borzzatto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2015

Yes, if there's a user named Unassigned, then, for sure, it was created previous you get your hands in this JIRA instance, as it's not there by default.

As you mention that you would like to unassign this issues, you can, then, try to perform a bulk edition of the assignee field.

Please remember that to have unassigned issues in your environment, there's a need to change the Global setting  in your General Configuration.

Also, please have in mind that Unassigned is not a user, in JIRA, it really means that the issue does not have an assignee.

I hope it helps!

Thanks!

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 17, 2015

As long as after this change I can still query tickets that do not have an assignee, then I am fine.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2015

Yup, you can say "assignee is empty"

Suggest an answer