Unable to view first created ticket for a newly created project

Kyle Erwin May 20, 2014

Hello,

Recently, a fellow team member created a project and a test ticket for the project. He created the ticket before he had project roles setup. He noticed that all Jira users were able to see his first ticket, and then assigned roles to his project. He setup three groups of users for the project and assigned them to the following roles: administrators, developers, users. He then informed me he was unable to view the first ticket he created. I created a second test ticket and was able to search and view it, along with everyone else associated with the project.

The issue we are having is why are we not able to view the first ticket? I keep receiving the message below everytime I try to search for the first ticket:

"It seems that you have tried to perform an operation which you are not permitted to perform."

I am assuming this may be do to the fact he had created the ticket before he had roles setup for the project. But, now, that he does why is it that him or I, or the other users associated with the project, not able to search/view the first ticket?

I am asking this question out of curiosity/future reference as the project is running as expected now.

Thanks,

-Kyle

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2014

No, permissions are not time-locked. If role X can see the issue, they can see it. There's no "it was created before" logic in there at all (unless you've got some clever coding that does it). If you change permissions, you should see them work immediately, irrespective of the history of the issue.

I suspect there's something else happening. I would

1. Check who has "browse" permissions in the project by looking in the permission scheme. Make sure you match at least one of the rules in there.

2. More likely - what "security scheme" do you have set on the project?

Kyle Erwin May 20, 2014

Thanks for responding Nic. All the roles have browse permissions, and there is not a security scheme associated with the project. This is proving very intersting, as I checked the issue summary for the past 30 days on the project and it says only one issue was created.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2014

None of the newer ones are being counted? This is starting to sound like you've got a very broken index...

Kyle Erwin May 21, 2014

No, the newer ones are being counted, but not the very first ticket created. Again, thank you for responding Nic.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2014

Ah, ok, that's sort of healthier than I was thinking, sorry I misunderstood.

I imagine the count is actually correct because you can't see the first issue, and hence it shouldn't count it.

Now, you say you get an "can't perform action" when you *search* for the issue. Couple of questions...

What search are you using? Could you vary it and search by different criteria? (E.g. try "reporter = fred" instead of "project = xyz")

Do you actually know what the issue id is? (Probably xyz-1 if it's the first in the project). Can you simply hit the issue view direct (http://yourjira/browse/xyz-1) - what error message do you get, if any?

Kyle Erwin May 21, 2014

Figured it out Nic. It was to do with security settings. There was a default security scheme setup for issues, but for some reason it was only affecting the first ticket (I'm assuming it's because no roles were setup in the project when the security scheme was setup and the ticket was created). I removed the security scheme, then re-associated it with the project. I was then able to search for the ticket. Seems odd.

Thank you for your time and help Nic.

Suggest an answer