Unable to use a custom field for filtering issues

James Sutherland July 27, 2015

I have created a number of Custom Fields to capture data on my issues.

However, when trying to use a Filter to restrict the issues to certain values, JIRA will not allow me select some of my custom fields.

I've checked help etc and cannot seem to fix this problem.

Screen shot attached of Error Message

image2015-7-27 16:34:16.png

Any help gratefully rec'd

2 answers

1 vote
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2015

If a custom field is grayed out like that, it means current search criteria of that the custom field isn't applicable to one or more contexts of the field. In the field configuration in the admin, you can edit a custom field with different contexts to only be applicable to certain issue types and/or certain projects. If your current search criteria isn't specific to those contexts, then you can't search by those custom fields.

As and example, let's say you have three issue types - Bug, Issue, and Action Item. You have a custom field called "Bug Type" that only applies to Bugs (based on the context configuration you created for the "Bug Type" field). If your search criteria contains any other issue type than Bug, then the custom field will appear grayed out and you can't search by it. You have to specific only Bug for the issue type and then the custom field won't be grayed out any longer.

More on contexts here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+a+Custom+Field#ConfiguringaCustomField-contextContext

0 votes
Darren Pegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2015

Hi,

Within the custom field section, find one of those custom fields and select the COG and select 'configure' and the select 'Edit Configuration' and see if it is associated to that project and issue type?

Suggest an answer