Unable to upload attachments to Jira

Nancy Davis February 4, 2016

I am the JIRA administrator and attachments are enabled.  I am unable to upload any attachments to JIRA (cloud hosted solution).

Whenever I try to upload attachments to Jira, I get an "internal server error."  Please contact you administrator.

The first time I tried uploading a 37 MB file, it told me the file exceeded the 10 MB limit.

After changing the file size limit to 50 MB, I retried uploading the file and received the "internal server error."

I reset the file size limit back to 10 MB and tried uploading a 157 kb log file; received the same "internal server error."  

The file types I tried uploading were mp4, log, txt and zip.

Please advise.

Thank you.

14 answers

1 vote
Selena Nguyen November 20, 2019

Hi guys. I'm having the same problem again with all types of files. 

Does anyone know how to fix this? Doesn't look like Atlassian Team is following this thread anymore..

1 vote
Dmytro Parkhomenko September 24, 2019

Hm. Ignoring clients. Very professional.
I can't upload a small txt file. Save button does nothing.

1 vote
george_a_jones July 8, 2016

I too am having the same issue.  I am administrator and can not upload file over 1.5 MB.  My max size is set to 100 MB.

I have restarted and still have the same issue.   What plugin are you discussing above ?

1 vote
Mike Adams February 6, 2016

Having the same problem.. I'm an admin and can't upload attachments.

1 vote
Paula Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2016

Hi David,

The issue you reported is related to a plugin which handles the attachments. If the issue persists, please create a ticket on support.atlassian.com so we can fix it.

It would take about 10 minutes for the restart.

Thanks and regards,
Paula Silveira

Daniel Sw February 5, 2016

I recently started having the same issue, only after migrating to JIRA Core.

Is it possible to restart the attachments-plugin by myself?

1 vote
Marc Staheli February 4, 2016

I'm having the same issue. I'm the account administrator and attachments is enabled. I also ran the Permissions Helper tool, which reports I should be able to upload files. The file size is very small and not even close to the current default 10MB limit.

Please advise.

1 vote
Ore Nuga February 4, 2016

I just started having the same issue too

0 votes
Ra Light July 17, 2020

I have the similar problem and resolve it changed some settings in reverse proxy (nginx). More infor is here: https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix-bsd-nginx-413-request-entity-too-large/

0 votes
Christophe Thelen February 5, 2016

I am having the same issue. Config is ok according to permission helper.

Already contacted support with more info on the HTTP 500 error I get when uploading.

0 votes

waiting on a reply

0 votes

already did... thanks.

0 votes
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2016

Since you should write to support - they can read logs.

0 votes

I am using the cloud version and do not have access to this log.

0 votes
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2016

Investigate atlassian-jira.log for more detailed information.

Suggest an answer