Unable to update to 7.0.10 nor 7.1 - exception when starting up: Unknown column 'QUERY' in 'field list'

Rodrigo Gómez February 17, 2016

Hello,

I tried upgrading my 7.0.9 installation to 7.0.10 some weeks ago but got into this problem: when starting up, after apparently upgrading without issues, the webpage just reads "Service not available".

Looking at the logs I found an error like this:

2016-02-17 17:58:13,272 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR [c.a.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener] Unable to start JIRA.
com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: SQL Exception while executing the following:SELECT ID, TYPE, REQUEST_TIME, START_TIME, COMPLETION_TIME, STATUS, EXECUTION_NODE_ID, QUERY FROM reindex_request WHERE STATUS=? ORDER BY REQUEST_TIME (Unknown column 'QUERY' in 'field list')

I didn't make much from it, went back to 7.0.9, and keep working.

Today I tried to update to 7.1.0 but I got exactly the same error (the log message is from today's attempt). I have searched the web but can't find anything related to this, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Checking the table, it does not include that column but I don't know why. The upgrade process did finish as far as I can see correctly.

I have been using MariaDB for a lot time without much problems. Right now I am on version 10.1.11.

Any ideas, or somebody else having this same problem?

Thanks!

3 answers

2 votes
aabrowne February 27, 2016

Resolved the issue...

• Manually edit dbconfig.xml
  • Completely remove the node <schema-name>
  • Restart JIRA
  • The upgrade should complete successfully
  • Shutdown JIRA
  • Add the <schema-name> node back to dbconfig.xml
  • Restart JIRA

Everything then worked, except that I now face this issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-59790 which has a workaround.

Rodrigo Gómez February 27, 2016

This should be done after updating or before updating?

After upgrading and getting the error above...

Rodrigo Gómez February 27, 2016

I don't have a <schema-name> node in any of the .xml files in the Atlassian folders... :/

For me the file was located here: /opt/atlassian/application-data/jira/dbconfig.xml

Delete this line: 

<schema-name>jiradb</schema-name>

Be sure to add it back after the update is successful.

Rodrigo Gómez February 28, 2016

Hello Anthony,

My dbconfig.xml doens't have that line. I guess in Windows there is another scheme for that XML. The only line that has the jiradb is the URL for the db connection.

In any case, I manage to upgrade by deleting the affected table. I saw in the log that the startup process tries to create them, and being that table what I think it is (just a log for what reindex are pending) I assumed it was safe to delete and let the startup re-create it.

I guess there is some incompatibility between MySQL and MariaDB when upgrading a table's definition, that causes this?

0 votes

Same issue here. Using MariaDB (mysql) on Fedora 22 64-bit.

0 votes
Robert Meurlin February 23, 2016

Hi!

I have the same problem.

Rodrigo Gómez February 26, 2016

Do youi use MySQL or MariaDB as the db backend? That's the only thing I could think of a cause for this, although everything else works fine, and the support tools don't show any error in my database.

georg March 17, 2016

We have the same problem with MSSQL2012 and <schema-name> solution does not work! It's a NOGO for for such expensive software!

Suggest an answer