Unable to update to 7.0.10 nor 7.1 - exception when starting up: Unknown column 'QUERY' in 'field list'

Hello,

I tried upgrading my 7.0.9 installation to 7.0.10 some weeks ago but got into this problem: when starting up, after apparently upgrading without issues, the webpage just reads "Service not available".

Looking at the logs I found an error like this:

2016-02-17 17:58:13,272 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR [c.a.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener] Unable to start JIRA.
com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: SQL Exception while executing the following:SELECT ID, TYPE, REQUEST_TIME, START_TIME, COMPLETION_TIME, STATUS, EXECUTION_NODE_ID, QUERY FROM reindex_request WHERE STATUS=? ORDER BY REQUEST_TIME (Unknown column 'QUERY' in 'field list')

I didn't make much from it, went back to 7.0.9, and keep working.

Today I tried to update to 7.1.0 but I got exactly the same error (the log message is from today's attempt). I have searched the web but can't find anything related to this, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Checking the table, it does not include that column but I don't know why. The upgrade process did finish as far as I can see correctly.

I have been using MariaDB for a lot time without much problems. Right now I am on version 10.1.11.

Any ideas, or somebody else having this same problem?

Thanks!

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Resolved the issue...

  • Manually edit dbconfig.xml
  • Completely remove the node <schema-name>
  • Restart JIRA
  • The upgrade should complete successfully
  • Shutdown JIRA
  • Add the <schema-name> node back to dbconfig.xml
  • Restart JIRA

Everything then worked, except that I now face this issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-59790 which has a workaround.

This should be done after updating or before updating?

After upgrading and getting the error above...

I don't have a <schema-name> node in any of the .xml files in the Atlassian folders... :/

For me the file was located here: /opt/atlassian/application-data/jira/dbconfig.xml

Delete this line: 

<schema-name>jiradb</schema-name>

 

Be sure to add it back after the update is successful.

Hello Anthony,

My dbconfig.xml doens't have that line. I guess in Windows there is another scheme for that XML. The only line that has the jiradb is the URL for the db connection.

In any case, I manage to upgrade by deleting the affected table. I saw in the log that the startup process tries to create them, and being that table what I think it is (just a log for what reindex are pending) I assumed it was safe to delete and let the startup re-create it.

I guess there is some incompatibility between MySQL and MariaDB when upgrading a table's definition, that causes this?

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi!

I have the same problem.

Do youi use MySQL or MariaDB as the db backend? That's the only thing I could think of a cause for this, although everything else works fine, and the support tools don't show any error in my database.

We have the same problem with MSSQL2012 and <schema-name> solution does not work! It's a NOGO for for such expensive software!

This widget could not be displayed.

Same issue here. Using MariaDB (mysql) on Fedora 22 64-bit.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Posted yesterday in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

41 views 2 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you