Unable to start Jira in Fedora Linux, getting error message when opening in browser http://localhost:8080

asif khan May 13, 2014

I have installed Jira server on my Linux machine. when I try to access jira via the browser.

http://localhost:8080 I am getting error message. The first time I got a wizard page to setup jira. but then it crashed. I am running Fedora 20 as a VMware machine. I installed jira on this vmware machine. Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance :)

JIRA Startup Failed

The following plugins are required by JIRA, but have not been started:
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Project Config Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-project-config-plugin)
  • Embedded Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.embedded)
  • Gadget Dashboard Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard)
  • Opensocial Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.opensocial)
  • Gadget Directory Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.directory)
  • Atlassian Navigation Links Plugin (com.atlassian.plugins.atlassian-nav-links-plugin)
  • Applinks Product Plugin (com.atlassian.applinks.applinks-plugin)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.gadgets)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Quick Edit Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-quick-edit-plugin)

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2014

Must be the 20th time this week! Answers *really* does need a FAQ and a decent search engine!

Start at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Troubleshooting+JIRA+Startup+Failed+Error

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2014

Yes, that's what the linked document says.

asif khan May 18, 2014

Memory Allocation

Cause

During the startup process, the bundled plugins are unpacked from the $JIRA_INSTALL/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/atlassian-bundled-plugins.zip file into $JIRA_HOME/plugins/.bundled-plugins, while the $JIRA_HOME/plugins/installed-pluginsare extracted to $JIRA_HOME/plugins/.osgi-plugins.

This process is rather resource-intensive, and if the required resources are not available, the plugins timeout during the unpacking, and causes JIRA to be unusable.

Resolution

You would have to increase the memory of your JIRA instance. The amount to be increased depends on the size of your instance, so there really isn't a pre-determined value that you have to increase to. Depending on whether you are using JIRA in Linux, JIRA in Windows as a standalone application, or JIRA as a Windows service, each of them have a different method used to increase the memory. All three of those methods are described in detail in this KB - Increasing JIRA Memory.

Anti-Virus

Cause

JIRA and anti-virus softwares are known to be mortal enemies - It's hard to have both of them at the same place at the same time. During startup, JIRA creates quite a number of temporary files that it has to read from. If an anti-virus software goes through all of these files (which are usually in the JIRA_INSTALLATION or the JIRA_HOME directory), it can hinder or stop the startup process from proceeding normally.

Resolution

Exclude your JIRA INSTALLATION DIRECTORY and your JIRA HOME DIRECTORY from being scanned by the anti-virus. However, sometimes, even though an exception has been added, the problem might still persists, in those cases, please try disabling your anti-virus entirely. Further information regarding the correlation between anti-virus and JIRA performance can be viewed in this KB - Crashes and Performance Issues Troubleshooting.

Corrupted Plugin Caches

Cause

From time to time, the plugin caches of your JIRA instance can get corrupted. These corrupted caches can disrupt your JIRA operations, as well as cause your JIRA to not be able to startup.

Resolution

You would have to clear and recreate your plugin caches from scratch. To do this, follow these steps :

1. Shut down your JIRA instance
  2. Access your JIRA_HOME directory.
  3. There, access the Plugins folder.
  4. Delete the .osgi-plugins and the .bundled-plugins folders.
  5. Once done, startup your JIRA. The plugin caches will be recreated

Incompatible JAVA version

Cause

JIRA requires JAVA to run and earlier version of JIRA is not compatible with JAVA 7 (JDK 1.7) such as JIRA 5.1.x. Running JIRA 5.0.x with JAVA 7 will cause some issues with the plugins.

Resolution

Please ensure that you are running on the supported version of JAVA. You may refer to JIRA Supported Platforms page and choose the version of JIRA you are on accordingly.

Plugins disabled in database

Cause

In some cases, the plugins are unable to be started up as it is actually disabled in the database. To enable and subsequently use them, some SQL manipulation would have to be done.

Resolution

Some SQL queries are required here to enable the plugins, which are documented in detail in this KB - JIRA Does Not Start Due to Disable Plugin

Please note that if the query in step 2 does not return any results, then this solution does not apply to your current situation.

Plugins require more time to startup

Cause

As the extraction of the plugins are a rather resource-intensive process, sometimes a shortage of resources can cause the process of the extraction to take longer (but there are still enough resources to startup the instance instead of shutting it down completely).

Resolution

You would have to edit some parameters so that JIRA provides more time for the plugins to be extracted, instead of cutting it off and assuming that it failed to startup. To do so, please insert the following into your JIRA startup parameter using the methods mentioned here - Setting Properties and Options on Startup :

-Datlassian.plugins.enable.wait=300
asif khan May 21, 2014

I tried Jira on my Windows VMware machine thinking it will work. it worked for a little bit. but after I had a power outage on my Servers. The JIRA crashed. it is still not working. Please, message to JIRA developers, plz fix this BUG. thanks in advance :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2014

What bug?

If your system crashed, then you need to fix whatever crashed it, tidy up any damage and try again. The fact you had it working before says there's no bug. "It is still not working" really doesn't tell us anything we can work with to help you out here.

asif khan May 21, 2014

I tried this on my Windows machine. I did this step. I do not have a Anti-Virus software.

Corrupted Plugin Caches

Cause

From time to time, the plugin caches of your JIRA instance can get corrupted. These corrupted caches can disrupt your JIRA operations, as well as cause your JIRA to not be able to startup.

Resolution

You would have to clear and recreate your plugin caches from scratch. To do this, follow these steps :

1. Shut down your JIRA instance
  2. Access yourJIRA_HOMEdirectory.
  3. There, access the Plugins folder.
  4. Delete the.osgi-pluginsand the.bundled-pluginsfolders.
  5. Once done, startup your JIRA. The plugin caches will be recreated

This is the error message. same as before. No anti-virus on this machine.

JIRA Startup Failed

The following plugins are required by JIRA, but have not been started:

• Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Project Config Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-project-config-plugin)
  • Embedded Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.embedded)
  • Gadget Dashboard Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Look And Feel Logo Upload Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.lookandfeel)
  • Opensocial Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.opensocial)
  • Gadget Directory Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.directory)
  • Atlassian Navigation Links Plugin (com.atlassian.plugins.atlassian-nav-links-plugin)
  • Applinks Product Plugin (com.atlassian.applinks.applinks-plugin)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.gadgets)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Quick Edit Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-quick-edit-plugin)
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2014

Have you actually tried what it is telling you to try?

I'm not sure why you keep going on about the anti-virus. That's just one thing that can break. What about all the other things in the documentation you copied and pasted?

Suggest an answer