Unable to sort by sprint as it's not showing

Davin Hoekstra September 20, 2017

Using basic search I'm unable to select "Sprint 2" for my current project as there are so many other sprints in past projects named, or containing "Sprint 2". How can I access this (I don't know the actual JIRA sprint number so advanced search won't help me). 

It seems odd that it would bring up sprints from all other projects rather than the one I've limited it to.

(See attachment)

Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 3.57.43 PM.png

It asks me to keep typing but there's no more TO type. It's just called "Sprint 2" and I don't want to start to prefix all sprints with letters.

Thanks!

D

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 21, 2017

Hi Davin,

Sorry to hear you are having this problem.  It can be rather common to see since Jira will default the naming convention of all sprints in the same way.    It looks like you already have a number of these sprints that have added other additional information to their sprint names, such as the project name/board names where these originate. 

That is one way to help distinguish these different kinds of sprints.  While you might not be able to easily search for Sprint = "Sprint 2" to find what you want, I think the best way to work through this would be to return to the board/project where that sprint was created, and perhaps rename the sprint to give it some more unique terms that you could search on. 

If you are not interested renaming the sprint or in searching based on these other terms, then other way to try to address this problem would be to follow the steps in Jira Software: How to search for a sprint using JQL.  That guide has steps you can follow in order to first look up the ID number of a sprint.   This is another way that you can then search for that sprint in JQL without having search based on the sprints name.

I hope this help.

Andy

Davin Hoekstra September 21, 2017

Thanks Andy! I wasn't aware of the "secret" hover technique over a Sprint number in an issue to see the ID. I can use that for my advanced search now. Not ideal, and not as good as having JIRA just filter to only those sprints in the selected project, but a workaround for now. Thank you.

Suggest an answer