Unable to set security levels in my project...

Bala Krishna May 1, 2013

we have some vendors joing our project. and we dont have they to see other issues to support this i did set issue security scheme but still they are able see all issue.. dont know what mistake i did can you help here..

below steps we need to implement.

1. Vendor should able to log issues (we achived it)

2. they should be able to see their own issues but not all other issues..

attached the issue security level i set..

-Bala

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2013

You need to go through the documentation again and understand Issue Security levels.

Issue security level is for a particular issue. Without complicating it, let me try to give you a simple example.

1. Create a Issue Security Scheme with a security level named "Restricted to Developers and Reporter". Give permissions to Project Role (Developers) and Reporter.

2. Assign this issue security scheme to your project.

Now to set the issue security for an issue, you have three options.

1. Using a post-function upon creation (here you can set issue security level based on issue type,etc if your process demands it)

2. Allowing the user himself to set the issue security level

3. If you have only one security level, by making it the default in issue security scheme so every issue created will have the security level by default.

Try this out and let me know if you need further help.

Bala Krishna May 1, 2013

Thanks Bhushan. Dont know how it worked. but I deleted my previous Security Scheme and added once again. It started working.. Thanks a lot for your help.

But i have one Question how can a user achive the step 2 in your example. (1/3 are part of admin jobs)

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2013

If you give the user the Admin permission in the project he will be able to change the Security Scheme. Without that permission is not possible to do.

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2013

Hi Bala,

In your project's screen schemes, on the Create Issue screen, you can provide the "Issue Security" field. Here the user himself can set the security level.

An example of this can be found here.

1. Go to http://jira.atlassian.com

2. Try creating a bug in the JIRA project and you will see the security level option (which is very similar to your scenario - Reporters and developers)

Bala Krishna May 1, 2013

Yes, you are right. Thanks. I see this field coming in my issue view screens but its not coming under Configure field (on Create/Edit).. Double checked its there in all screens but not coming in Configure Field section..

0 votes
Bala Krishna May 1, 2013

Hi Bhushan,

I already did 1,2,3,4.. but 5 i haven't done.. will chk and let you know..

thanks for your help.

-Bala

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2013

Hi Bala,

Here are the general steps you need to take if you are talking about issue security per project.

Note: You can also achieve this using groups if you have all your company users that need to see all issues in a group

Basically,

1. Separate users who can see all issues into a project role.

2. In issue security scheme, set permissions to Reporter and the project role you created in step 1.

3. Make sure in your Permission scheme, all users can set issue security level.

4. Make sure in your Field Configuration, Issue Security is not hidden.

5. In your workflow, write a postfunction to automatically set the issue security level upon creation.

Bala Krishna May 1, 2013

Hi Bhushan,

i am able to achive vendor not to see other issues, but he is not able to view the issues created by him after create state due to postfunction set. Any idea how to over come from this??

-Bala

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2013

You have missed the attachment

0 votes
Bala Krishna May 1, 2013

I am unable to attach image here. If i click image icon above getting only image URL/Description and dimensions option ...i dont see any option to select image from harddrive..

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2013

Host your image somewhere..

Suggest an answer